FS: 159 track car

Started by 116gtv, August 21, 2010, 08:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

116gtv

Posting this for some mates - something a bit different:

Alfa 159 2.4 Turbodiesel Race car

Successfully campaigned in several Bathurst 12 hour races. Modified bilstein suspension with camber kit, ECU upgrade, Quaife diff, CAMS logbook.

$45000 ono. Car is in Sydney.

Initial enquiries to me on 0421 174 935

Bit of info here:

Alfa Romeo maintains perfect Bathurst record

The Thomson Alfa SuperCharge Batteries racing team survived an immensely challenging Armor All Bathurst 12 hour race to finish 22nd of 42 starters, an effort that netted Alfa 159 JTD turbo diesel racers Kean Booker, Rocco Rinaldo and David Stone a win in Class F, the alternative fuel category of the event. It also gives Alfa Romeo a perfect finishing record for the past four years that the Bathurst 12 Hour has been conducted.

The incident packed and largely wet race started well for Thomson Alfa with everything going according to plan until after the team's second pit stop approaching the six hour mark. Then a minor gearbox oil leak, caused by earlier contact with an errant competitor, was discovered and the car made an unscheduled stop for repairs. On the very lap that the car was heading to the pits for attention it was first on the scene of one of the most bizarre events ever seen at Mount Panorama when a massive tree fell across Conrod straight and stopped the race.

Thomson Alfa team driver Rocco Rinaldo was at the wheel at the time and says the circumstances were "surreal". Rinaldo had been warned of an incident on Conrod but says he could barely believe his eyes when he saw the massive tree across the track. "As I came down the back straight I saw waved double yellows and then marshals running towards the track waving me down. It was obvious something was seriously wrong and I backed right off. As the tree came into view I could see there was a gap under it to the left but I didn't think the car would fit so I stopped. We would have finished well into the top 20 if I could have made it back to the pits on that lap."

True to the spirit of production car racing the Thomson Alfa is road registered and was driven to the track from Sydney. It was fettled during the Armor All Bathurst 12 hour by a crew of graduates from the Albury TAFE's certificate in motorsport course and enthusiasts from Alfa Romeo importer Ateco Automotive. The car completed 176 laps of Australia's most demanding racetrack on just one set of Toyo R888 Proxes tyres in a demonstration of durability with class winning grip.

116gtv

some images