156 V6 - post 2002 model issues

Started by John Hanslow, November 25, 2010, 07:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hanslow

If the 156 update (post 2002) and the facelift model from 2004 seem to have issues with the engine management system and coils.  So forget the coils and the 4 cylinder JTS engine here.

So does the V6 still have the same problems with the catalitic converter, engine maganement sensors or air flow sensor ?  If there a common km's issue and expected replacement ?

Thus,  if these costly items need replacing then a pre 2002 model would be a better buy and a more reliable car !
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

wankski

yes the issues with the cat, afm, and coils are common... the later two are std bosch parts...the arese v6 engine has minor changes b/w pre-update and facelift 156s...

you still can have maniverters with cf3 vs earlier cf2 engines... meaning later models can have as much a 4 cats (some have 3)... That said, it is rumoured that the lean burn of the jts gives its manifold cats a shorter life... that said any engine dropping coils and dumping unburnt fuel into the manis will liekly cook the cats... so no driving on a busted coil!

The 6s have pretty significant costs to them, so if you are talking a vlaue proposition here it is no doubt more cost effective to buy a pre-facelift v6 and have the coin left over to fix it up and fit q2 diff etc...

the update v6 manual is quite rare and easily double the cost of the pre-facelift. I have seen decent ones go for awesome money, for example eariler this yr 2001 model silver w/ 120k on the clock went for $7,500 on car sales. That is a pretty awesome buy right there...

u'd be paying double for an update v6 with similar miles..

John Hanslow

Yes I have been comparing pre 2002 and post 20022004 156 V6, manual and dare I say auto.

Yes I have been comparing pre 2002 and post 2002/2004 156 V6, manual and dare I say automatics too.  There are a few overpriced cars out there.

There are a few cheapies around from time to time. Indeed there was a silver 21002 V6 manual in Qld that went for $10k with 60,000 on the clock. It seems that when its time for major service and belt change, the answer for some people with the older cars is to just sell them with basic RWC.

Honestly there is a cheap red 2004 156 V6 in Vic with low kms  that will see fast as the price is right on the money in comparison with other overpriced cars for sale.  If I can sell my car today I would go for it as I do like the 2004 front - but you got to pay more for a modern car with its engine management issues.

Your comment on the cost saving and spending the money on a Q2 diff is one of the best around the forum.  The simplest upgrade is a Q2 diff for any current V6.
Thanks again Mr W.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

flipch

Hi John;

I've just been through a similar process.  Big difference in pricing between similar models on the net...  I prefer the facelift front as well, but made the compromise and bought a 02 model, but hardly a compromise as is a 156 GTA.   

I spoke to a lot of people on the forums and personally in making my mind up about manual vs auto.  Lots of auto V6's around, but very few 2.5 V6 manuals.  SOmeone said there were less 2.5 manuals imported than GTA's.  I am very glad I went with the predominant advice and got a manual.  It allows you to drive as you want, and I get great petrol consumption on highway driving (8.3-10) depending on the road and how aggressively I drive.   The autos compromise consumption quite a lot, as well as acceleration, from what I've read and heard.   I wasn't particularly looking for a GTA, but found one around the same price many of the 2.5 manuals were going for.  I was tempted with an immaculate 05 2.5 auto, but the seller also owned a GTA and actually talked me into getting the GTA  ;D

I found the 02 2.5 manual I test drove drove really well, and I would have been happy with it.  If I was you I'd still be looking for a facelift 2.5 manual if you can get one for a good price.  I found just waiting and watching paid off, getting me what I wanted at a great price, meaning I could justify spending some money on it as needed (Q2 etc). 

Good luck with the search.  Look forward to hearing the outcome!

Phil
02 156 GTA Grigio Metallico
Hobart

wankski

us V6 manual owners should probably get onto a group buy of q2 diffs from UK...

L4OMEO

Too late - bought mine last month, exchange rate too good to ignore ($700 landed).  ;D
2002 156 GTA

wankski

that's pretty good, where from? ebspares? did it include the diff bearings?

- its ok, u'd want to be under customs limit of 1k before hitting g.s.t.

and i'm doing mine with a clutch, so it's all good...

flipch

Yes, I've gotta get one.   Wasn't sure whether to go with EB Spares or Autolusso.   I think the later supply a few more bits, they were GPB 450, but now 475 on Ebay see below.   So $700 is a better deal.

Alfa Romeo Q2 Differential, V6 3.0 156 147 GTA GT JTD
Free Worldwide and UK Delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alfa Romeo Q2 Differential, V6 3.0 156 147 GTA GT JTD
Free Worldwide and UK Delivery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Item condition: Brand New

GBP 475.00  Approximately AU $770.23

-    00552 08952 (1 x LSD)
-    00076 55061 (2 x differential bearings)
-    00144 60880 (2 x oil seals)
-    00400 04910 (1 x differential seal) 
-    00400 04430 (1 x differential seal)
02 156 GTA Grigio Metallico
Hobart

L4OMEO

My Q2 came from Autolusso, just over $700 landed for the full kit including all seals and bearings. Arrived in about 4 days too. Another $450 for the installation (plus oil which I provided) and it was a pretty cost-effective exercise.

Unfortunately, in combination with the Eibach ProSystem springs/shocks & anti-roll bar kit, the limiting factor is now the tyres - 205/55s just aren't up to the rest of the set-up. So, now on the look-out for a set off GTA 17s & decent rubber ....

Never bloody ends does it  :(

Rory
2002 156 GTA

wankski

with new bearings - thats an awesome deal! thanks, will chase it up.. maybe if we can secure 2-3 orders we can do it a little better... doubt it, but u never know??

i'm in.

L4oemo, $450 fitting is great. where did you get it done, and where u doing the clutch too... i'm hoping its just a nominal fitting fee if they're doing the clutch anyways... i'll ask around anyways...

cheers!

L4OMEO

John French Motors in Brisneyland fitted mine, but didn't do the clutch - I'm hoping that lasts a little longer yet. Also, I believe they fitted the Q2 with the 'box in the car and I'm sure you'd have to drop it to do the clutch - correct?

I also went for Amsoil Severe Gear oil, ordered online at $25/litre from the distributor in .... hell somewhere down south, Sydney or Melbourne perhaps .... which arrived next day. Has definitely improved the gearchange and reduced transmission noise a little.

Autolusso was the cheapest place I could find, but I suspect that's why they wouldn't discount any further when I pressed them. I've heard stories that their packaging isn't great (my last order from them wasn't) but the Q2 was very well protected.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

wankski

thanks rory, i'll chase em up... alternative autos in uk are also pretty cheap, but have no idea what will be charged in shipping...

That's right, i'm hoping I can get away with a $150-200 surcharge for doing the q2 with new bearings already attached on top of the cost of fitting the clutch as it will be dropped anyways... hoping anyways...

Will make a few calls and get back to the board if there is any joy to be had in group discounts...

Cheers !