vdo dayton head unit

Started by ozchips, August 30, 2010, 01:08:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozchips

had a look in view to replacing this head unit ,which I am lead to believe is the facory one , cd-3200 .
Is there any tricks or tips to taking one of these out ? I noticed to copper coloured tabs on either sdie , I assumed you just depressed these and it would slide out , no go . other extraction tools i have form other stereos do not work either
am i missing something ? My main concern is cracking the dash

ozchips

ok sorted that out , the head unit is out , just need a coat hanger :)
one more question , can I use the ignition for the ground ?

ozchips

sorry let me clarify
power to power
constant power to battery
gnd instead of bolting it to chassis can I use the ignition wire like they use on the factory install ?
thanks everyone

spieret

if it's like when i put the new stereo in my GTV you can just connect the ignition wire to the cig lighter as it is controlled by the ignition as well
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Mat Francis

You could use the GROUND of the ignition wire, but not the +ve ignition wire.
Just use your multimeter to find an earth, and use whatever is going to be easiest and neatest.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

ozchips

thanks guys ,
got it all sorted , everyting is tested and working , just not in as yet . bloody euro antenna connection :)
will have to drive into the big smoke to pick up an adaptor then close everyting up nicely
i am looking forward to filling up a usb stick full of mp3's and litsteningto that for the rest of my life lol