Fuel pick-up gauze

Started by AlfaACT, October 10, 2010, 08:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaACT

At the end of the fuel pick-up pipe - inside the fuel tank of my Gt - is a very fine gauze filter.
Its like a sleave that is wired on to the end of the pipe. Hmmm, ... No dont go there ;-)
The gauze appears to be made of brass - but has disintegrated.
Hence it is no longer effective.

Can anyone advise:
1. where one might obtain this material - ie very fine mesh brass gauze?
2. what the gauze might be made of - if it is not brass?

I am tempted to replace it with a synthetic gauze - obviously one that is stable in fuel ie hydrocabon resistant. Anyone done likewise?

Thanks,
Peter.

Typhoon90

Got a photo of the gauze sock & end of the pump? I bet it's a standard Bosch sock, they make newer ones in some sort of nylon, they come with new pumps, not sure if you can order them seperately.

Regards, Andrew.

AlfaACT

Hi Andrew,

The photo attached is the pick up pipe as it is now - ie after its been cleaned up a little and the old gauze removed. Yep its the sock I want to replicate.
It fits near the end of the tube where the crimp marks are and extended a little beyond the end of the pipe - maybe 10mm. The sock was probably about 10mm in diameter too. Yes I should have made measurements, just like I should have taken photos then too - grrr!

btw - No lift pump in this model, the nearest pump is the mechanical one on the engine.
The pump is pretty low down, relative to the tank, so I suspect it relys on syphoning to ensure delivery.

Cheers,
Peter.
PS Congratulations with the 90.

Typhoon90

I wonder if you could easily adapt a sintered bronze filter element for the purpose? Just find one that will fit over the end of the pipe & figure out a way to fasten it?
I'm trying to think where I've seen really fine stainless steel mesh before.......

Regards, Andrew.