scammers

Started by ANT_GTV6, September 21, 2010, 12:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANT_GTV6

Hi Everyone,

In the past two weeks I have emails from potential buyers about my car for sale. Needless to say both the emails have been very dodgy. The first suspicious part about both is that they have offered me $9000 and $8000 respectively even though my car is only advertised for $5000. The way they talk in general is also a bit suspect. The first one also wouldnt supply his phone number. I could be just paronoid but id prefer to sell my car to someone i can meet or at least talk to on the phone. So just a warning to everyone that their might be some scammers about.

Thankyou,

Anthony

f1worldchamp

There was a thing on the news the other night about scammers targeting people selling there cars through carsales. Watch out if the buyer says they want it shipped overseas.
Current:
2006 159 JTDm
Past:
2000 GTV 2.0 Twin Spark
1973 1600 GT Junior
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Run with the bulls
Swim with the Sharks
Race with the Italians

NigelC

Anthony,

If your car is advertised on either drive.com.au or carsales.com.au, then that is where they get your contact details.  The scam involves payment using Paypal to transfer the funds, the idea is that they pay the $8200 (on paper) and then say 'oops, I should have only paid $8000 can you send me back the extra $200, which you do and then find the $8200 has mysteriously disappeared from your Paypal account, leaving you $200 short and feeling silly.

Despite your urges to string these fools along a bit or to abuse the shit out of them (like I did!), simply don't answer any correspondence (email or SMS) from someone offering more than you have asked for the vehicle – that's not how we buy and sell cars in Australia.  Responding to them will just piss them off and your phone number will strangely find its way onto autodiallers that give you phone calls in the middle of the night and your email will start getting lots of spam.

These scams are well documented and you should simply ignore them.

No-one, repeat no-one will offer to pay more than you have asked and no-one will 'buy the car as a gift for their father/uncle/brother' sight unseen. This paypal scam is included in the list of scams on the carsales site.

The following link will help explain some of the more common scams http://helpcentre.carsales.com.au/scam-defence/

Nigel
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

ANT_GTV6

Thanks for all your help and responses. Well summed up Nigel. Just trying to make people aware. The first emailer also used wanted to use paypal. He also had a link in his email which directed me to our AROCA website which is where my car is advertised. Ive ignored them now. Just waiting for a genuine buyer now.

Anthony

ProvaRacing

It might also help if you subscribe to this site and get alerts e-mailed on current scams. It's run by the ACCC so legit.

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/803211

PS I too have had the engineer on a vessel wanting to buy for his dad...offering more than sale price :o

Brad M

Quote from: ANT_GTV6 on September 22, 2010, 12:25:45 PM
Thanks for all your help and responses. Well summed up Nigel. Just trying to make people aware. The first emailer also used wanted to use paypal. He also had a link in his email which directed me to our AROCA website which is where my car is advertised. Ive ignored them now. Just waiting for a genuine buyer now.

Anthony,
I want to just say firstly, thanks for bringing up the topic as the landscape has changed. From the past when it was buyer beware, now the seller very much needs to beware.

My tips;
- when you think someone is a bit dodgy with any posts, 'Report to Moderator' and it'll be looked into it... I don't have any patience for anyone not adhering to the culture of the forum (honest people trying to share there love and knowledge of Alfa's)
- Refuse any requests to pay by PayPal, if you wanted to be paid by PayPal I suggest you would have listed on eBay and tell any perspective buyers so.
- Research the member making posts about what you are selling. Select their username, then in their Profile summary select the "Show the last posts of this person."... if the person hasn't introduced themselves, I'd be suspicious.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

wankski

under no circumstances should buyer or seller pay by paypal.

My advice for both parties, there is only one medium that ought be accepted.

Bank Cheque.

That is all.

Both parties to attend RTA and execute rego transfer and settle terms as cheque is handed over.

Both parties then go to closest sellers bank and clear cheque on the spot. Contract finalised at the counter acknowledging payment received.

No one ought to reasonably refuse this process. If they do, stuff it. Not worth the hassle.

ProvaRacing

Quote from: wankski on September 23, 2010, 10:35:30 AM
under no circumstances should buyer or seller pay by paypal.

My advice for both parties, there is only one medium that ought be accepted.

Bank Cheque.

That is all.

Both parties to attend RTA and execute rego transfer and settle terms as cheque is handed over.

Both parties then go to closest sellers bank and clear cheque on the spot. Contract finalised at the counter acknowledging payment received.

No one ought to reasonably refuse this process. If they do, stuff it. Not worth the hassle.

The only problem with that is bank cheques need clearance too. Thats right, yes I thought the same thing but rules changed as scammers have increased. So if you were to do this the only variation is be accompanied to the issuing bank and have the bank cheque created infront of both parties...that way it's real.

PS If you recall the stimulus cheque issued by the reserve bank was permitted instant clearance (declared by the Fed government) so the money could flow in the economy quickly...BUT two days later at the same bank an ATO cheque also from the reserve bank needed the 2 or 3 days to be cleared.

wankski

sorry, u're right, my error, i meant the buyers bank. U can confirm the authenticity and draw funds from the cheque providing ID and get paid in cash from the issuing bank.

alternatively getting it drawn and being present there works too.

the point being bank cheques are far harder to forge as they have security features personal cheques do not, but yes, the reality is payment can still be stopped by the payer if the payee sits on the cheque for any period of time...

certainly a good point.