Current models - Spettacolo Wash'n Shine Awards

Started by John Hanslow, September 25, 2010, 01:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hanslow

Just seeking ideas and comment for the moment prior to presentation of final Spettacolo Plans to the Club.

Last year we had a bit of interesting discussion with 147 model vehicles.  The result was that we separated them from older modes in the 932 Series- pre 2004 and Current Model Series as is and available from the dealer.

So now we have a broad range of cars now available from our dealers. There is the new MiTo and Giulietta to add to the 159 derivatives from that platform.   Do we again need to revisit our Spettacolo awards for this series ?

We currently have 2 current model awards as follows:
1. 159 sedans & wagon, 147 facelift (and now the new MiTo to be included?)
2. Brera, Spider and GT.

It really depends on numbers - I do not want to split an award up for every occasion as it has to be driven by our participating club members entering into this event.  In 2008 we got 5 entrants in total and 2009 we got 8.  Say this year we may get at least 10.  We are really trying to promote our membership to all new car old historic car Alfisti.

We have to be 'fair and reasonable' so should the smaller (147 and MiTo) cars be separated from the sedans?   That seems simple, practical and a honestly a good idea.

Secondly, should a current model spider be separated from the GT and Brera?
Alternatively, as the Brera and spider are the same platform, should the GT be separated from them?

I think it depends on numbers. On the day a lot of people put in a lot of effort with their valuable cars so I see that we have to make an effort to be progressive and do the right thing.

The awards have to be practical as well, new vs older cars - 6 years of GT's - but we do now have a distance/km's penalty to discriminate (slightly) against a brand new car up against the same but 5 year older model.  That is a win!

Comments please and if you have a new car, get it ready for the event as these cars too are the future of the club.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

GregSale

I think now the MiTo is around, it makes sense to have a class for 147/MiTo, as before it would have just been 147's alone.
As to Spider/GT/Brera, going on numbers last year they might as well stay together (he says, removing the car polish from under his finger nails)
Thats my 2 cents
2007 Spider Black

Martinsifredi

Hi guys,

I think having a sep. category for the 147 and Mito is a great idea as these two models "especially" the Mito prsent an evolution in Alfa Design/Styling and direction.
As for the Current Spider, Brera and GT, these cars are really all GT cars , (Grand Tourers ) so I feel that they should remain as a group.

As for the K'ms and age of the cars , this is very important as cars with higher km's will need more TLC to match the newer model.

MartinSifredi
Classic and Modern
Concours Automobile Presentation
Ph 0425 735 814

John Hanslow

Thanks for you comments.  I will get some advise our workshop sponsors as well.

At the moment, the current model series is rather general and covers so many cars.  But the 147 is no relation at all to the MiTo but for our purposes we may class them together.  It may be for practical purposes, but for the moment this 147/MiTo segment could be an option.

Time will be the judge.

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 147 Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hey all,

This represents a bit of a dilemma.
I tend to favour grouping the cars by series/era, though the longevity of the GT and 147 facelift makes this imposable.
My suggestion:
- 147 (original & facelift), GT and 156 (original & facelift)
- 159, Brera, Spider and MiTo

I am not so concerned with considering the kms.  A 6 year old GT, lovingly maintained and detailed, would beat a new one with dirty brake callipers (for example).
Anyway, that is my suggestion.

Cheers,
Marco
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

John Hanslow

Understand Marco.  But that would mean we change 'current models' to seperate 159 from GT's then ?
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 147 Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Victor Lee

Marco's comments are very good, especially in the light of people's attention to detail in cleaning their cars. 

After all, this is a Wash n Shine Competition and a 1 year old Brera competing against an older Brera will have an advantage.

Suggestion: Create a current-current (!!) category: Regardless of model, anything less than XX years that has done at least YYYY number of kilometres. (For discussion:   XX = 3 or years?   YYYY = 5000 kms?).  That way, near new cars can compete directly against each for cleanliness etc.

Older than XX years can go into their respective model categories.

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

John Hanslow

We are getting some good ideas here.  The idea of Spettacolo trophy classes reflecting our AROCA Registers is not relevant and we have to work with the cars that our members enter into the Spettacolo competition on the day.  Last year almost 70 cars in superb condition.

We have a milage/km's deduction for new vehicles but a "New Vehicle Class".  A new car may be say 2 years old.  That covers all new vehicles.  It also cleans up the split in 147's.  

New Vehicle Class
Any new car less that are less than 2 years old - covers all models including MiTo.

Current model class as follows:  (What series ?)
-159 Sedan and Wagon
- Brera and Spider.

932 Series:
- 156 Sedan and wagon, 147, 166 and GTA's.
- 932 Series Coupes and Spiders, includes GTV and GT.

Still a bit of work to do here but almost there.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 147 Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata