motor wont start

Started by mario-jnr, September 24, 2010, 05:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mario-jnr

hi all ive been restoring a 1300 junior over the past 2 years have a 2ltr put in out of a 116 all parts done and converted to fit a 105 now ive come to the exciting time of first engine start up,had a few issues with flywheel starter mismatch replaced the flywheel and had the correct starter rebuilt top to toe.
now when i go to turn the key the motor wants to turn but it sounds like its got a really flat batery but the batery is new and on full charge,when i take the plugs out of the 4 chambers the engine turns over very strong and nothing is fowling so i know the starter is doing its job,but it sounds like the compresion is locking up the motor very strange i carnt figure it out so im hopeing that you alfa gurus can give me some pointers help please

AikenDrum105

Hi mate - nothing more frustrating than all that work and stumped at the finish line :)

I'll throw a couple that come to mind out there ....

If you can just turn it over by hand with a ratchet on the crankshaft pulley bolt (with the plugs in)  then the starter should turn it fine.

Have you fitted the copper braid ground strap between the bellhousing/gbox and the chassis (and does it have clean connections) ? (I always forget the darned thing - on both 116->105 conversions I've done)  I think without that - all the starter current has to find another way to ground - usually not with great current flow - less grunt for the starter.

You used the right shoulder bolt to mount the starter to the gbox ? I think without that they can bind up / bog down

Plugs too long ?

Anyway Just guessing - you've probably checked all that a hundred times already...    If all the electrical connections are good - maybe it is the rebuilt starter after all.   You could use a multimeter to compare the current draw on your starter to another 105 - see if yours is very different.

Good luck !

Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Frank Musco

If the ignition timing is too advanced, it can appear as a flat battery. Move the dizzy in the correct direction (Retarding the timing) and it should begin to turn easier, like it should.
If you've moved the dizzy and this continues, go see your Doctor.

Frank.

mario-jnr

ive got a feeling its something really simple i will try to retard the timming tomorrow and do the basic checks again as you guys have recomended and try my luck.i will keep you posted cheers mario

MD

Engine block to chassis earth connection very important as others have said. Likewise clean and firm B+ connections everywhere just as important. Don't overlook the solenoid. It may be making a poor contact for the starter. Try supplying a B+ to the solenoid via a relay and fuse from know good B+ connection instead of relying on the ignition switch to power it. Often the cause of poor starter performance.

If you rebuilt the motor, did you use the right bearing sizes? Are the journals too tight? Did you fit the connecting rods with the correct offset ie, 1&2 facing each other and 3&4 the same? Are the cams turning freely?

Try the electrical stuff first - by far the easiest.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

GTV-074

Hi,

Also I guess check the basics......

Is there spark?

And make sure there is fuel getting to where its supposed to. I had an issue after a short lay off where it would turn over but not start. Ended up being the fuel pump (wasn't that old either!).

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

mario-jnr

its alive whew what a good feeling hearing that 2ltr purr,
guys thanks for all the imput the earthstrap wasnt conected to the gearbox fixed that and the starter turned very strong but still would not fire so i went back to basics and reset the firering order and yep it was trying to start back to front so tdc the no1 piston and set all the leads corectly 3 cranks of the starter and it came alive thank god it will need general tuning timming carbs ect ect but its great to know that all that time effort and money hasnt been in vain did want to take it out but its raining so i dont think i will do that yet but its good to know that i can when i want to now thanks all for your help without it i would still be scratching my head cheers a very happy mario jnr ;D ;D ;D
ps ill post some pics up soon and also i can highly recomend the electronic triger for the bosch distributors i bought mine off ebay in the uk for $50 it replaces points and condensor red and black wire to the coil and away you go strong spark works well best 50 i ever spent