advice needed on stiff gearbox on 2001 156 monza

Started by nathanlancaster, September 30, 2010, 05:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanlancaster

Hey all,

My gearbox has "all of the sudden" got quite stiff when I change gears. Mostly changing from 3rd to 4th and back out of 4th into 3rd. the clutch isnt slipping, and its not making any clunking noises as im changing in or out of gear, but it has definately got harder to change...

Does anyone know what this could be...??? Syncro's..?? and if it is... whats this going to cost me to fix if i take it to the lovely guys at the Italian job....??  Im almost to scared to know...lol... 

Any info would be great, thanks guys....   

Nathan :)

Typhoon90

If it's suddenly come on, it could merely be a shifter linkage issue.

Regards, Andrew.

wankski

relax - not synchros or any internal g/b problem... likely siezing shift linkage... these are accessible under battery and intake manifold... simply remove linkage, sand off any corrosion/grit and regease and it should become smooth again..

nathanlancaster

Ok.. well now... my gearbox has decided to return feeling normal again, sliding smoothly between all gear which is great. BUT...  now twice in the last few days, my clutch has started slipping..!?!  So, now im thinking it may just be the clutch..??

Any advice guys...???

If it is the clutch, how much would it be to replace it..?? or is that all pending what parts need replacing..??

wankski

not sure i understand the last bit, but you need to replace the clutch, throw out bearing and the clutch slave as a kit as its a concentric internal type...

i'd guess around $1,300-1,500. The clutch kit parts alone go for b/w $7-800.