Powder coating rims

Started by joeciardi, September 19, 2010, 09:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeciardi

Hey guys, does anybody know or recommend somewhere that can powder coat rims?
Current: 2006 147 GTA

Barry Edmunds

Most reputable powder coaters can do the job at reasonable rates.

Check with your own club sponsors/advertisers and talk to other club members to see who they use.

Barry

Miss Alfa Sprint

Hey,

My dad runs his own powdercoating business in Bayswater if you are interested  :)

Marisa
1979 Alfasud Sprint Veloce 1.5L (Blue)
1989 Alfa 33 1.7 IE (Red)

To see my amazing photography visit http://www.marisagangemi.com/

joeciardi

Hey Marisa, that would be awesome but I'm in Sydney. Don't suppose he knows anybody up here?
Current: 2006 147 GTA

Miss Alfa Sprint

Quote from: joeciardi on September 20, 2010, 10:56:09 PM
Hey Marisa, that would be awesome but I'm in Sydney. Don't suppose he knows anybody up here?

Oh my bad sorry  :-[ I'm not sure but i'll ask for you...

Sheldon McIntosh

Hi Marisa, would be be able to find out from your Dad roughly how much to do a set of four 15" wheels please, tyres off.

Miss Alfa Sprint

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on September 27, 2010, 09:58:18 PM
Hi Marisa, would be be able to find out from your Dad roughly how much to do a set of four 15" wheels please, tyres off.

Hey Sheldon,

I asked my dad how much it is:

for standard colours it's $25 each wheel and for metallic colours it's $40 each wheel because a clear coat has to be added on top
he also said the wheels have to be clean, but if you need more info here are his details..

JMC Finishing pty.ltd
Quality Powder Coating

Orazio Gangemi
Ph/Fax: 97209366
Mob:0414658582

Factory 3/49 Power Rd Bayswater Vic 3153

cheers  :)

david sammartino

Just make sure not to powder coat the mounting surface, and if possible knock out the metal inserts if fitted, or insist they tape the holes were the bolts/nuts fit into.
I had a set done once many years ago when i was young and didnt know much, and made this mistake. Oh ! and also the inner mounting hub of the wheel, will save you alot of hassles, and especially if you want to do a "legit" job of them.

Hey i even think alot of people still forget this so just thought id mention.

john m

Dsavid S., I know what you mean about the wheel nut inserts. If they get coated the wheel nuts can loosen and have to be checked after 50+kms of driving, also the  coating can be "torn off" past the tapered insert by tightening or removing the nuts. I ended up using a tapered grinding stone on a drill to lightly clean the inserts, stop grinding when you see metal.

Sheldon, Tyres will have to be stripped otherwise they will get cooked. They run the ovens between 80-100*C. I had 4 Italian made rims done 5 years ago. The process:
#1 Strip & junk tyres $6e
#2 check rims for round & inbalance,  "roll the rim " this is industry talk,  only steel rims can be rolled, alloy rims are "rolled" with a hammer! I took mine to a place in W. Heidelberg, the owner assured me that he had done hundreds of alloy rims and mine would not be a problem. On pick up I asked him to spin them before paying, 2 were fine 2 were shit. Negotiated payment for 3 rims only. Cost $30 per rim but only paid for 3 = $90. Found out about Michael in N.Coburg he was able to get them "true", another $60 for 2. Total $150.
#3 Sandblast or beadblast $35e
#4 Powdercoating $30e
Total cost per rim app $95 pluse all the running around . Never again, only new rims from now on.

Good luck to all
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import