Alfa GTV6 1985 Cheer Squad at Bathurst

Started by shane wescott, October 02, 2010, 08:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Hang on one second, you are telling me that my comfordmadore FPVHSV XR-SS-V8 in my driveway is not and the same as a V8 Supercar.

I feel somewhat cheated now and robbed of $75000, I am sure you have got your facts incorrect.

I recall seeing somewhere that the only shared component between a V8 supercar and the production cars is the driver's door!!!  Can someone concur.

Neil

L4OMEO

QuoteI recall seeing somewhere that the only shared component between a V8 supercar and the production cars is the driver's door!!! 

Well, I did see Garth Tander's drivers door fall off on Sunday, so it's the same quality as the road-car part  ;)

Quote"Production Cars"  indeed.

In fairness, it's been a long time since anyone (series organisers included) claimed these were production cars. They're simply built to a formula.

You're correct with your comments on the changes to the cars Shane. The company I work for is minor sponsors of the Triple Eight team and we have some contact with them. One of our guys was chatting with their crew about the change from Ford to Holden and the challenges this presented, the response was it was actually quite easy since there is so much commonality under the skin that their 'Falcon' components bolt straight into their 'Commodore'. It's not NASCAR, but it's gone a fair way along that path and with their new 'Car Of The Future' soon to be introduced that's only likely to continue.

These days it's not about manufacturer versus manufacturer and competition between their products, it's about teams competing under parity-based regulations. As a spectator you would now align your support with a team or driver rather than a marque or particular car as we used to. Like it or loath it, the series is expanding, support is growing, TV ratings are up, aside from the probability of a 3rd (& possibly 4th) marque joining in the next two years I'd say it 'aint going to change course anytime soon.

2002 156 GTA

Davidm1600

Quote from: shane wescott on October 15, 2010, 09:03:53 AM
I agree the cars are no the same as the ones you can buy. I didnt know until my mate one a tour of the Vodafone pit that they actually shorten the body of the cars by around 30cm as well by cutting they at the rear quarter panel !!!!!!

"Production Cars"  indeed.

But then , as I said to a couple of people on the weekend, if it makes money then they will stay with the format. If numbers go down they will change. Numbers were up around 3000 or so this year and i dont see that trend changing.

As a non racing nut (i dont live for it , i just love cars - oh and bikes now as well ) to be able to get so close to the track and the cars, for 4 days for around $150 with paddock access, so you can stand behind the pits and watch them doing their thing, is pretty hard to beat.

If only it was like that in F1 at Albert Park :-)

Then again AROCA track days at Phillip Island are free for spectators, the cars are awesome, and the drivers are all nice guys :-)

Schedule Permitting next year it will be MotoGP camping on the back of the Ducati :-)

I didn't think I would comment further on this as I had said my piece as to how I feel about Bathurst these days.  But and while I agree with Shane that I too am also first and foremost an Italian car enthusiast, as well as loving Ducatis (especially classic ones), I am not a racing nut.  Hence, attending Bathurst for the annual two horse race doesn't interest me.

However, in terms of value for money while I would agree $150 is pretty decent value in attending Bathurst, for me, I actually think even better value still is attending the Goodwood Revival meeting, though it is only held over 2 days rather than 4.   I totally enjoyed that experience, since the cars and bikes, let alone all the other side attractions, displays was right up my ally.  It is all about classic cars not modern, money no object GM/Ford rivallery, which as described above is so sanitised that it really simply comes down to budgets, drivers and a dose of good luck, for in all seriousness there is so little in terms of technology between the makes.  Frankly, I had to laugh when the door fell off Tanders car, what a pisser, and how much does a V8 supercar cost, and yet the build quality is suspect.  hmn !! ???
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

MD

Very interesting Paul, I hope you are right.

However the last time Nisaan won and the Sierras won the average punters were not that amused. Definitely not happy Jane.

Some are still burning effigies. :)

Brand loyalty shifting to team loyalty ? Er nice PR pedal,just needs a lot of soap to wash.It's just not the Ocker mindset.

....On reflection, the weather report wasn't that bad.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Repco Lad

Hey Shane

I was on the roof above the podium at the end. I'll sift through my photos and post one of you and your hat if I can find one. Were you anywhere near The Stig?

Guys, if you think it's hard to pick the differences between the current Fords and Holdens, try picking the difference between 20 blondes!! (Miss V8 contest)

Regards

RL

L4OMEO

QuoteBrand loyalty shifting to team loyalty ? Er nice PR pedal,just needs a lot of soap to wash.It's just not the Ocker mindset

Then why is it so successful and sustainable? In fact it's still growing! It's not PR pedal, it's reality. Whether it floats your particular boat is a whole different story.

I predicted it would last about 4 seasons and I've been proven well wrong. Turbo Volvos beaten Holdens was much more my thing. Robbie Francevic taking down all-comers at the Wellington Street Race is an indelible memory for me - remember that Paul?

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

L4OMEO

No they sure didn't, but it didn't help that he was a Kiwi (and a pretty arrogant & outspoken one to boot)  ;)

Good years indeed.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

MD

I get it.

For all you current Bathurst 1000 fans who diet on Golden Arch take away food, Clayton's Tonic drinks to wash it all down with, American Ringside Wrestling, Drag Racing and prefer the slick look of motor bikes with all the aero wrap arounds instead of seeing the engineering of the mechanicals of the so called naked bikes, I get it.

Oh but hang on, you're an Alfa fan ? You know the guy, individualistic, slightly eccentric, quirky, mostly intelligent, often very practical, passionate about Alfa history and the real motor racing that got it there. You'd love to see Alfa make a big splash in motor racing in Oz just for once so you could show all your doubting mates who think you are a dickhead for owning that weird little brand of motor car how wrong they are. Class racing at Bathurst should do it.

Sheit, I forgot. That's Clayton's ring side racing now.

Think of all the stuff that's popular that you don't agree with. Since when is popularity a guage for anything? If we follow that logic, we would all be driving Corollas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claytons

I just want to be clear that my point of view is only meant to reflect how I think about this subject and should not be mistaken for putting anyone on this thread down for supporting the event. Respectful debates are always interesting. So Shane if you are still us, you can remove those pins from the MD voodoo doll now 'cause  lately I 've been experiencing some strange pains in the butt...
;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

L4OMEO

QuoteI just want to be clear that my point of view is only meant to reflect how I think about this subject and should not be mistaken for putting anyone on this thread down for supporting the event

How can you make this claim after what you said in your first sentence? If you don't like it, fine, say so and why. But you can't describe the sport and its fans as you have done then credibly claim to be holding a respectful debate.

Oh, and you don't like classic racing at Bathurst either. Got anything constructive to add here?
2002 156 GTA

MD

Message received. In the political vernacular,I am moving forward. :)

You are an even handed barometer Paul and I respect your opinion.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0