Excellent racecar project here

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, November 02, 2010, 01:08:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

jimnielsen

One thing that i thought was interesting about this car is that it claims to have a falcon LSD 'grafted' into the Alfa transaxle. This is something I have not seen before, but it would be neat, as the crownwheel and pinion in the typical 116 type transaxle can easily be broken by cars with more horsepower and sticky tyres. Anyone like to venture how this would be done in practice? In the transaxle, the pinion is a fixed part of the output shaft, so this would be challenging..

jim~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

NigelC

Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

Paul Gulliver

Here's another interesting racecar for sale. With a little bit more history.

I think Storm _X was after the details of this car a few months back.

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/tabid/65/p/8/cid/527/id/2069/Default.aspx#

Gully

Bump. Have a look at photo 5. You would have to have your left leg wrapped in  carbon fibre fire proof material before you could get near the clutch to change gears.

Also imagine being strapped in then spotting a fuel leak  about 18 inchs to your left. Character building stuff.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Storm_X

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on November 02, 2010, 10:58:29 AM
Here's another interesting racecar for sale. With a little bit more history.

I think Storm _X was after the details of this car a few months back.

http://www.my105.com/ListingDetails/tabid/65/p/8/cid/527/id/2069/Default.aspx#

Gully

Bump. Have a look at photo 5. You would have to have your left leg wrapped in  carbon fibre fire proof material before you could get near the clutch to change gears.

Also imagine being strapped in then spotting a fuel leak  about 18 inchs to your left. Character building stuff.

I dont remember ever thinking about this car i never knew it existed.

there is also a gtv race car project on ebay, last isaw it was cheap $500
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Storm_X

sorry i think i remember asking about it a long time ago as i thin it did the fastest lap time around mallala race track.

Steve S

Quote from: jimnielsen on November 02, 2010, 09:02:41 AM
One thing that i thought was interesting about this car is that it claims to have a falcon LSD 'grafted' into the Alfa transaxle. This is something I have not seen before, but it would be neat, as the crownwheel and pinion in the typical 116 type transaxle can easily be broken by cars with more horsepower and sticky tyres. Anyone like to venture how this would be done in practice? In the transaxle, the pinion is a fixed part of the output shaft, so this would be challenging..

jim~

About 15 years ago a friend of mine had some housings made to adapt Ford LSD's into Fiat 124/125 diffs. Ford LSD's were relatively cheap and they had the same axle splines as the Fiat. All that was really needed was a way to fit the Fiat crownwheel to the Ford diff. Thats what the custom housings did. I suspect the above conversion would be somewhat similar, using Alfa crownwheel and pinion

vin sharp

Quote from: jimnielsen on November 02, 2010, 09:02:41 AM

jim~

I'm sure they're just talking about grafting in the LS centre, still using the Alfa pinion & crown. There really is no viable way that I can think of to put in another pinion given that the Alfa pinion is also the gearbox mainshaft.  I also wonder why you would even bother going to the trouble of fitting a Ford LS centre when there are plenty of Alfa ZF LSDs out there in T/S or 3.0 transaxles........but then, I think the car also has a rotary engine fitted.......enough said!

david sammartino

spot on vin!

except even stranger, its not a rotary hes gone for, hes using a "quad cam mazda 2 litre" which leads me to believe its one of those 2 litre v6 jobbies from a mx6 or eunos or whatever other piece of glorious vehicle they fitted it to. LMAO!

Dont care what they come out with, i just have quite an in difference towards mazda's. They remind me of a retired toyota.

Storm_X

If the ford 25 spline center does fit with the alfa crown, i would rather pay a third/ half or mabye even quater the price then what people want for a alfa LSD anyday.

jimnielsen

Vin: fair enough - nothing is ever as simple as it seems. David S. I agree -its not the engine I would have chosen for a sports sedan.

jim~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Sam

Hey
With regards to the Tony Edmenson Alfa in the link...
I used to race F/Vees and then F/Ford around this time.
Occasionally we got a gig in a State or Nat meeting,  where there were Group A and also Sports Sedan races.
I got to see the legendary Alfetta up close and got talk to Tony a few times.
I will point out that the engine had a cover over it so unlike mentioned in previous posts – there was no chance of getting burnt on the exhaust :-)

Secondly, the car in the pictures doesn't look right.
I need to dig up my old photos, but I'm pretty sure the car was a 1.8.
The car in the picture has the wrong rear tail lights and the rear window pillar vent.

I don't remember him ever having a later model car, so is it really the original car or just a replica?

LaStregaNera

The First Edmondson Alfetta started life as the Evan Green Works rally car - it was totalled in an accident, and the second car built using a plastic bumper 2l as a basis.

As for the Car in the very first post, the cage needs the front legs replaced to meet cams specs - alot of work, but probably not too bad.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6