FOR SALE John French Turbodelta GTV Alfetta - unfinished project

Started by Travmeister, June 16, 2007, 04:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travmeister

Hello All,

I have had my poor baby sitting in my garage for 4 years now and not done anything to it.
Its a John French Turbodelta Build No 002.
As such I think its time to look at selling it to someone who can devote some time and attention to it and get it on the road.

The car is a 1979 John French Turbodelta Alfetta GTV Coupe and has features listed below.

Please note the car is an unfinished project and is not driveable (as you can see from the photos).

The history of the car:
I bought my 1979 Alfetta GTV Coupe a long time ago and set about (as many youngsters do) in modifying the car. It went through several resprays from Beige to Black, New wheels, several over-the-top stereo installs and many other additions listed below. I actually came across a crashed Alfetta GTV Turbodelta at a damaged car auction and bought the car and transplanted the engine and drivetrain into my car. So as such its not a true Turbodelta as its now in a 1979 chassis. The last project undertaken was to convert the car from carburettor to EFI and increase the power substantially with bigger turbo etc and this is where the project stalled (family and house got in the way).

Features
•   2.0L Turbodelta Engine – had nearly $5000 worth of engine work done on it by a performance mechanic in Sumner Park Brisbane 800km before the crash.
•   Garett T3/T4 Hybrid Turbocharger – never used
•   Custom Intake Manifold with internal trumpets
•   Custom equal length exhaust manifold
•   Intercooler
•   3 inch Exhaust with 1 Straight through muffler at the rear
•   Wolf 3D EFI Computer
•   Front Torsion Bar suspension from Colin Bonds Group E race car
•   GTV6 gearbox and driveshafts
•   Simmons B45 15" Rims

Interior
•   Cobra Race Seats
•   Total 4 point harnesses
•   3" Polished Alloy Half Roll Cage
•   Custom door trims
•   Custom boot and other areas

The car's dirty(though i might clean it sometime soon), hasn't been anywhere near a hose or any form of cleaning product and certainly needs a lot of work before its anywhere near driveable again. I had many years of great fun in this car – it was fantastic fun to drive and I would love to be able to get it on the road but its just not going to happen. Please note there are a few things missing from the car.

Make me an offer – I don't really have any idea what its worth. The car is in Brisbane. I have a few more pics if anyones interested.

Travis  0414 996 347

Darryl

Hey - thats my engine! Turbodelta 2 was mine before it was attacked by a Magna driver  >:(

I like the mainifolds. That said, you don't happen to have any of the old 'delta parts still kicking around do you?

Darryl

Travmeister

Hi Darryl,

Haha great to hear from the previous owner and get a bit more history on it.

Sorry to say I (stupidly now I realise of course) sold the original KKK turbocharger, carbies and manifolds to a mate of mine who put them on his Alfetta sedan. :(

Darryl

So there is another fetta sedan running around with Autodelta bits on it? Interesting - I have one - it was "the" Autodelta sedan - might have to reclassify as "an"...

In theory with the reflowed kkk and the headwork the engine should have been good for a bit more go than the "factory" Autodelta - but as you know I never found out (800km post rebuild was running in - hadn't taken back to get tuned and the wick wound up). Did you get it tuned up and running ok?

My sedan is at G&A now, waiting for some new forgies (it had mega OS ones and the liners insisted on turning oval...) before another go at out how much go can reasonably be extracted from "period" tech (ie still the dellortos etc, but bigger turbo and intercooled).

Travmeister

Unfortunately I didnt really get around to getting the most out of the engine. It went extremely well in short bursts - traction could be a problem in 2nd and sometime 3rd gear
Had issues getting enough fuel to the engine and didnt want to lean it out and damage anything.
Thats when we decided to make the switch to EFI........

Darryl I wish you would stop talking to me about this - its getting me keen to fix the car up again!!! But reality is I just wont get round to it  :(

Storm_X

"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Travmeister

Hi Storm_X

Yes I sold it to a guy Jason in Perth.

I should look him up sometime and see if he got it going at all.......

I wish I had the spare time i had as a youngster to devote to it.......I have the money now but no time. Funny how things go like that isnt it?

Storm_X

Quote from: Travmeister on August 25, 2009, 10:20:44 PM
Hi Storm_X

Yes I sold it to a guy Jason in Perth.

I should look him up sometime and see if he got it going at all.......

I wish I had the spare time i had as a youngster to devote to it.......I have the money now but no time. Funny how things go like that isnt it?

yea i am trying to collect some parts at the moment to get a turbo setup on my giulietta.

how much did you end up selling it for if u dnt mind me asking

Travmeister

It was a good deal - i think about $3500 in total. The computer was worth $700 and the turbo $1500 alone not to mention heaps of custom work.

Storm_X

what the just the motor or the whole car ?? if the whole car that was a good deal.

iwould have just bought the motor etc .

y so much for the turbo ?

Travmeister

No that was for the whole car

Turbo was a special T3/T4 hybrid with custom vanes designed to flow 450+ HP.

I bought it off a mate of mine who had a stupidly powerful Mitsubishi Starion and he never put the turbo on (went for a new ceramic jobbie). You can see the big expension chamber behind the turbo in one of the pics.

Prices have come down a fair bit since i bought it though.

Damn you for bringing this thread back to life - reminds me now how much I miss my old babby haha