UnAlfa

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, November 02, 2010, 01:26:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

This is the most UnAlfa Alfa I've ever seen.  My heart weeps for this poor car.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Alfa-156-1999-V6-show-car-custom-bonnet-20inch-rims-tv-/180578844091?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a0b567dbb

And just think, for what he spent on that car, he could have had a GTA.

Neil Choi

What is a Lip Kit?

And what is so special about 20" rims these days?

Yellow is okay for about 10 mins.

Sheldon, you are right, for the money spent, you can get a really good GTA, oh, I forgot, I have one, red, so doesn't hurt the eyes!!!

Neil

Davidm1600

Ricer Alfa,   >:( :(  Could hardly tell what was so special about the custom bonnet, and have no idea what a lip kit is.  Maybe the owner had cosmetic surgery to go with driving this lemon.  As for the wheels, how spew material are they.   What a waste of money and wasted on what was once a decent car.  Needed my black RayBans to protect my eyes.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

spieret

Didn't take long for the cry of "Ricer". It's not ricer, europeans have been modding cars like that longer than the Japanese have.

Personally it doesn't look too bad.

And we wonder why membership to the club is down.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Victor Lee

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Neil Choi

I don't object to tasteful body kits and paint jobs.  Novitech does nice stuff.

But really not sure on 20" rims and chrome at that.  Can't understand why, can someone educate me.

Actually, membership has been pretty good lately.

Neil

Davidm1600

My point quite simply is that the purity of the 156 is its very appeal.  It is a very well designed, clean body shape not needing bling.

The typical adornment that people apply to their cars who do this sort of thing, be it spoilers, carbon fibre bonnets, modified rear and front bumpers, on what ever origin car, mostly do nothing to enhance the original design, hence the generic term used aka"ricer".  Given the legion of Asian cars with such modifications, it is no wonder such a name exists. 

I agree with Neil, 20 in chrome wheels, of IMO an ugly design does nothing to enhance the visual appeal and certainly nothing for the ride/handling of the car.  Such changes therefore are purely for looks, which in my eyes is crap.  The colour choice is loud and perhaps in my conservative opinion (not that I am of this ilk), I don't think it suits the car.  Perhaps on something else, it maybe perfectly fine.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: spieret on November 02, 2010, 01:35:00 PM

We don't wonder that actually, since membership is not down.  What a stupid thing to say.

Typhoon90

Moit, that's hectic!
Another fine example of buying expensive rims that don't suit the vehicle. If it weren't for those rims, it'd be a nice car.

Regards, Andrew.

MD

Isn't it contrary to Forum policy to comment on Alfa cars for sale whether you like them or not? I thought Brad had put out a notice on this issue a little while back?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

i dont think its rice. Its clean, not over done BESIDES the gay wheels.

I would drive it if i took the wheels off.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

fps_beaTt

Quote from: spieret on November 02, 2010, 01:35:00 PM
Didn't take long for the cry of "Ricer". It's not ricer, europeans have been modding cars like that longer than the Japanese have.

Personally it doesn't look too bad.

umad? It's a colloquialism used to define a type of mod on a car, nothing more. Quite frankly, the bonnet looks hideous and reminds me of a poorly designed Monaro.
You're entitled to your own opinion, but don't condemn others because they don't subscribe to your own taste.
Membership is down? I'm a new member! Herp derp!

Brad M

Quote from: MD on November 02, 2010, 06:19:30 PM
Isn't it contrary to Forum policy to comment on Alfa cars for sale whether you like them or not? I thought Brad had put out a notice on this issue a little while back?

Sorry not against any policy as the discussion isn't occurring in the For Sale section about a members advertisement.

I like the look of it, the exception being the wheels (looks like a caricature drawing). The bonnet doesn't look Monaro to me, but XR8.

I personally wouldn't have done that, as I have a thing for GTA's :)
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

dehne

i think it looks ok even with the rims but i think it accuatly needs a monza rear wing on it just to finish it off or a whole monza kit then it would look really good and put the freakin badges back on
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

John Hanslow

So we have a summary:

- Personal taste is the winner.
- Since the cars themselves are stylish, larger rims & chromies seem to devalue the looks.
- Membership is in fact up and still growing.
- GTA's are a worthy substitute to a more fundamental model with add ons.
- Some negativity is allowed.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata