Selling a 1750 Giulia GTV (1970) - Melbourne, VIC

Started by RV1750, November 11, 2010, 12:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RV1750

Hello.

It's a sad day for me as it is time to pass the car I grew up in on to a new owner. But I need help pricing it accordingly.

Check out some photos @ http://yfrog.com/14dscn2625wjx

It is mechanically sound. My mechanic says "mechanically, it is better than many cars on the road today". But it is in need of some major body work. The rust has got into most parts of the car, but it is not beyond repair. The driver's side door and front grille is damaged and the rust has gotten the better of the spare wheel cavity in the boot. Interior is OK but can do with an upgrade.

It has been serviced regularly, mainly by two mechanics. The engine was rebuilt five years ago. And the brake boosters were reconditioned two years ago.

The car has been in my family since it was 6 months old. I have been driving it for close to 15 years.

I'd appreciate some honest advice re setting a fair price and identifying any other information important to selling it – or even where I might find interested buyers.

What are people's thoughts on Shannon's Motor Auction, or is it best to sell it privately? Any other points to consider?

Thanks in advance.

RV-1750

Standard specifications
Engine: 4 cyl.
Capacity: 1779 cc
Power: 118bhp
Transmission: 5 spd. man
Top Speed (on paper!): 118 mph

MD

RV1750

You might care to change the engine description as this is not a fuel injected engine.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Davidm1600

Gosh in a way this is a hard one to give some advice on, especially without seeing it in the metal.  And I don't wish to incur the wrath of the administrators (I am being careful here) as they don't like people making comments normally on cars for sale on this forum.

Firstly, though understandably it has huge sentimental value given how long the car has been in your family, your association with it, not just from as a child but also driving it for the past 15 years.  Really hard to put a price on that sort of thing. 

The good things though are as you say it has been well looked after mechanically, and in a way is a kind of one/two owner car.  This can be really important for a potential buyer as you can pass on its history. 

Also, all the brightwork is there and seems to be mostly in good to reasonable condition.  Stripping and re-polishing the steering wheel for instance is no big deal, ditto repairing the dash.  But I couldn't see what the seats or carpets are like, and of course I have no idea re suspension, brakes gearbox, etc etc.

The good thing with 105 GTVs is that so many of the parts one needs to rebuild them is available, here in Aus, in the UK, the US and Europe.  The strength of the AUD would help if someone wished to go immediately on a shopping spree.

The not so good thing is the rust and this can be a real killer in terms of market value for such cars.  If a buyer is able to do much of the repairs themselves this will save money.  And for the most part the sort of removal of rust and welding in new metal should not be beyond the average home welder handiman.  You only have to look at the AlfaBB to see all the home restoration threads to see what I mean.  New cills, inner/middle and outer may all require attention, ditto sections of the floor, wheel arches, possibly under the screens, let alone in the boot well.  Door skins are available (not cheap), but if the rust is in the frame, then 'new" second hand doors would be the go.  The problem is they can be hard to find.  I know from experience.  Luckily the bootlid looks ok (as this too can be a problem panel to find).

On the other hand if you have to pay to have it totally restored, the cost can in some cases far outweigh the end value of such a car.  Hence the for sale price could be critical to a potential purchaser, if you market it too high. 

I suspect that given the condition of the body and some of the internal trim, let alone any other problems the car may have, Shannons would be reluctant to try to auction it, unless the reserve was pretty low.  You could always ask them for an opinion.

Therefore, IMO, I suspect you may be better off perhaps trying to sell it here on this forum, or via the AROCA magazine, or alternatively perhaps ebay.

My advice though in trying to sell the car, for its worth, is to be upfront and honest about its problems, but as well stress the good things about it, including the long family ownership.  I am sure there should be a interested person.  Afterall the 1750 is generally considered the next most desirable of the 105 GTVs after the stepnose 1600s.  (Mind you some may disagree with me on this and that is cool).

The other option could be say a web-based site such as carsales etc.   Again perhaps have a look at such sites to see what others are selling their car to judge where yours fits.

I guess to give you a very rough guide on values, restoration project cars either going or not generally fall between say $2K - 6K depending on how bad the problems are, nice cars but requiring some work say from $8-14K, very nice cars from say $15K-25 and superb cars from $25 upto roughly $40K.  Condition, milage, history, originality and/or even tastefully done enhancements can all affect the prices.

Hope that helps a little.  Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Brad M

Quote from: Davidm1750 on November 11, 2010, 10:06:50 PM
Gosh in a way this is a hard one to give some advice on, especially without seeing it in the metal.  And I don't wish to incur the wrath of the administrators (I am being careful here) as they don't like people making comments normally on cars for sale on this forum.

hmmm ... advice was sought, and good to see you managed another verbose reply despite it being a hard one to address.

Without attempting to highjack this thread in "General Discussion" section, clearing up what would receive some wrath once the actual car is advertised (in the "For Sale" section) people giving unwelcome opinions which may undermine the sellers position. All of us, if we were in the selling position, would want the same respect paid.

Quote from: RV1750 on November 11, 2010, 12:28:17 AM
I‘d appreciate some honest advice re setting a fair price and identifying any other information important to selling it – or even where I might find interested buyers.

On to your topic, I vaguely remember a topic on this subject of 105 values in the past.
- Part's cars/Restoration "Projects", up to $3-4k
- Rolling Restoration/Daily Driver, up to $10-13k
- Nice Restored/Original examples, over $14-15k

Check out some past advertisements on the "For Sale" section, especially Monoman's 105 ... he was asking about $21k (from memory), I think that was a great deal.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Davidm1600

Cheers Brad, as I said I have listened to the requirements and so hence did my best not to transgress the rules, ;D was respectful to the prospective seller, while at the same time providing an appropriate level of feedback pertinant to the questions being asked.  Verbose is possibly one interpretation another could be considered detailed.  ;D
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

MD

Having a close look at RV1750's post,the writer is obviously seeking some help in order to correctly price and advertise this car. I do not believe that his post is actually one to sell it right now and technically it is not an ad for sale by a member.It's only contemplation.

QuoteWhat are people's thoughts on Shannon's Motor Auction, or is it best to sell it privately? Any other points to consider?

David I think your post is an excellent one to inform someone like RV1750. Often the devil is in the detail and that's exactly what you have provided.

If there is any doubt about it, I suppose you could always send him/her a PM for further assistance. Just thinking out loud here..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Brad M

Quote from: MD on November 12, 2010, 10:53:05 AM
Having a close look at RV1750's post,the writer is obviously seeking some help in order to correctly price and advertise this car. I do not believe that his post is actually one to sell it right now and technically it is not an ad for sale by a member.It's only contemplation.

Yep, that was my point.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Davidm1600

Thanks guys,  ;D and I would be more than happy to pass on any such thoughts if I can help any further.  I have had my 1750 GTV since '97 and Giulia Supers and Berlinas for even longer than that.  I am by way means no expert, I just know a little. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

RV1750

Quote from: MD on November 11, 2010, 08:07:52 AM
RV1750

You might care to change the engine description as this is not a fuel injected engine.

Done. Thx MD

RV1750

Hi there. Thanks so much for the uncensored advice.

The price guides give me  a really good feel for what to expect. And the 'home welder handiman' and availability of spare parts info has given me some hope that may be I should keep it - although I am not sure if I should learn how to weld by restoring this particular car!

I need to do some thinking around what the minimum cost I will accept is, if I do go ahead and sell it. I am thinking of going along the lines of advertising it as 'all reasonable offers will be considered'. But that said, I will check out the 'for sale' pages as my next step.

I was going to take the car to the Spettacolo in Melbourne today by fatherly duties got in the way...  ;)

And for the record, there is nothing except for good insights in these replies so no offence taken in any way shape or form.

Thanks again.

RV-1750