Parts required for 156 V6 160,000 km service?

Started by trippytipo, February 20, 2012, 09:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trippytipo

Good morning!

I was thinking of ordering parts for my new 156 2.5L V6 24V Monza's 160,000 km service from either interstate or overseas to save some dosh by giving it to the mechanic and only having to pay for labour.

Would anyone be able to give me a run down of the usual parts I would need? I will definitely be changing the oil, fuel and air filters.

Also what engine oil brand/grade would you guys recommend? Should I only use Selenia or something else, given the high mileage?

Thanks heaps!
2001 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 2.5 Monza

"There is no beauty which hath not some strangeness about its proportions."
- Sir Francis Bacon

colcol

Hello Trippy, if you have a mechanic in mind, go and get them to give the car a once over, to see what actually needs doing, no good ordering parts and you find out you need more, you want to order every thing at once and save on freight, things to look at include, oil, air, petrol, air pollen filters, brake rotors and pads, wheel bearings, bottom and top front control arms, sway bar bushes and or complete sway bars and sway bar links, tie rods, shock absorbers, cam belts, cam belt tensioners, maybe water pump, as for oils and coolants, purchase them here in Australia, as they are heavy and cost a lot to freight, the brand to use is up to you, just make sure they are the right viscosity and specifications, talk to you mechanic and get the lowdown, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Don't forget the serpentine belt and the tensioners, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Davidm1600

Once you know what parts you need, check out EB Spares in the UK, I have recently bought quite a lot of parts for my 156 JTS through them and saved a bundle.  Delivery literally only took a few days.  Quite amazing.  My mechanic certainly told me he couldn't have purchased the parts locally I needed for what I paid.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

trippytipo

Thanks guys!

David, how much does the shipping usually run you from the UK if you buy via EB Spares?

The other place I've heard of is Turin Imports in Adelaide but haven't checked their prices/freight yet.
2001 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 2.5 Monza

"There is no beauty which hath not some strangeness about its proportions."
- Sir Francis Bacon

Davidm1600

Hi Trippytipo, the last parcel of goodies I got included a set of Bilsteins, plus all the parts to replace the belts, actuators, water pump etc etc.  It came in a large box about 60 x 30 x 20 cm and weighed quite a lot.  From memory, the cost was about 45-50 quid for the postage.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

You could also get a price from The Spare Place in Adelaide, Vito there is very helpfull, but no matter where you get your parts from, get a quote first, and if the freight is a bit expensive, ask them if they can do it cheaper, as they can sometimes use a slower courier, great if you are not in a hurry, Colin.