Buying first car in Victoria

Started by Steve S, November 22, 2010, 03:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S

Hi

Sorry about this boring question but I just want to hear it from someone that I'm doing this correct.

I moved to Victoria from NZ 3 years ago and I'm only now looking to buy a car, an Alfa of course! I just want to know the correct legal way to conduct the transacton here. I know the owner needs to get a roadworthy certificate, is this a physical certificate I need to get, or is it all just online or electronic? I understand I need to transfer ownership and pay stamp duty, where do I get this done? The car is currently registered untill the middle of next year, I assume I wont have to pay any registration untill then also.

I will get a VIP to make sure its not stolen etc but I dont think I have anything to worry about.

Anthony Sharp

Hi Steve,
The current owner needs to get a Roadworthy done on the car by a licenced tester, the physical certificate should be handed over to you at the time of sale, along with the transfer papers with the disposers section filled out, you need to fill in the aquires section then take the whole lot to any Vic roads office and pay the fee and stamp duty. You will not have to pay rego till it is due mid next year.

John Hanslow

Steve, also take note that following a Road Worthy Certificate, you may want to also get a pre-purchase inspection form a local Alfa Workshop or Alfa Dealer.  It should be a bit over $100.

This forum is has prior post of people buying the car with misinformation, or lack of knowledge and then having to spend a few grand doing the car up.

Depends on how comfortable you are with the settler and how up to date the service books are.  I do not know the type of car you want to purchase but each one has a few peculiarities. 

For example a new one is the quality of the oil in JTS motors.  If the incorrect oil is not used, not topped up, then the cams are damaged.

In any event post purchase, you should get the car fully serviced so all is in order.

Cheers.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

wankski

in addition to all that has been said, you must preform a securities check on the vehicle. This is available for approx $35 at vicroads. Most are unemcumbered but some pop up as having a registered interest.

You can do a *cursory* check here at http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/BuySellTransferVehicles/BuyingPrePurchaseChecks/CheckVehicleDetailsBeforePurchase.htm

Do not under any circumstances pay for a vehicle that is encumbered. Demand that the vendor make arrangements to remove the interest before you pay, or if the seller is impecunious, you must arrange by authority to speak to the financer directly.

The register does not contain amounts, so you must have written confirmation of any outstanding amounts on cars if the seller absolutely can not cover the amount before sale.

Personally, IMO it's not worth the hassle. I would only buy clear title. All dealers in Victoria must sell clear title and you as purchaser are indemnified against any claim. Additionally in Victoria dealers must provide a 3 month statutory warranty.

That combined with the fact that many alfa owners are space cadets when it comes to pricing may means you are better off with a dealer, despite what logic may suggest.

The only thing that would tip me over conclsuively to private is buying off a person on the various alfa boards, as I know they'd look after it and know a bit about it. eg, topping up oil. If you wait until 10k service intervals there would be hardly any left in the sump! = certain damage.

best of luck.

Steve S

Quote from: Anthony Sharp on November 22, 2010, 10:27:17 PM
Hi Steve,
The current owner needs to get a Roadworthy done on the car by a licenced tester, the physical certificate should be handed over to you at the time of sale, along with the transfer papers with the disposers section filled out, you need to fill in the aquires section then take the whole lot to any Vic roads office and pay the fee and stamp duty. You will not have to pay rego till it is due mid next year.

Thanks Anthony, its alwasy easy when you know how!

Steve S

Quote from: John Hanslow on November 23, 2010, 06:58:34 AM
Steve, also take note that following a Road Worthy Certificate, you may want to also get a pre-purchase inspection form a local Alfa Workshop or Alfa Dealer.  It should be a bit over $100.

This forum is has prior post of people buying the car with misinformation, or lack of knowledge and then having to spend a few grand doing the car up.

Depends on how comfortable you are with the settler and how up to date the service books are.  I do not know the type of car you want to purchase but each one has a few peculiarities. 

For example a new one is the quality of the oil in JTS motors.  If the incorrect oil is not used, not topped up, then the cams are damaged.

In any event post purchase, you should get the car fully serviced so all is in order.

Cheers.

Hi John, Thanks for the concern but I'm OK there. I'm a mechanic by trade but more importantly a Fiat/Alfa/Lancia nut by hobby! The car is a 147 TS manual and I can't fault it. Honestly, I've never inspected a car this old so well cared for. I have been looking specifically for a 147, waiting for a good one to come along and I don't think they come any better than this. Its not the exact model and colour etc I want but I'll happily make an exception for that.

A little history, its a one owner done 58,900km, exclusively serviced at Lance Dixon, most intervals at less than 5000km. 2nd cambelt just done at 58,000km.

He recently bought 4 new Continential tyres for it because he wanted good quality tyres (not Kumhos haha!) and pointed out about the normal oil consumption etc. Who says that when they are trying to sell a car?

Steve S

Quote from: wankski on November 23, 2010, 11:13:01 AM
in addition to all that has been said, you must preform a securities check on the vehicle. This is available for approx $35 at vicroads. Most are unemcumbered but some pop up as having a registered interest.

You can do a *cursory* check here at http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/BuySellTransferVehicles/BuyingPrePurchaseChecks/CheckVehicleDetailsBeforePurchase.htm

The only thing that would tip me over conclsuively to private is buying off a person on the various alfa boards, as I know they'd look after it and know a bit about it. eg, topping up oil. If you wait until 10k service intervals there would be hardly any left in the sump! = certain damage.

best of luck.

I was planning to get the VIP for $25. Is that what you were reffering to?