Handy gearbox/diff oil tip.

Started by Typhoon90, November 20, 2010, 05:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Typhoon90

I've struggled for years and years getting gear oils into transmissions and differentials. I've tried the hand operated piston pumps (expensive, hard to use under a car and not very efficient), the old squeezing the bottle with a hose on it (sloooow and very frustrating) and even pressurising the bottle to force oil up a hose (very cumbersome and tricky to avoid the bottle exploding)!
So, today I was facing this annoying little part of automotive life yet again under the transaxle f the Alfa. I was wandering around, finding bits of hose for an electric pump I was going to cobble up to do the job ( I have a small Facet type fuel pump here). I grabbed  a piece of outboard motor fuel line I had under the bench and it had  a primer bulb attached to it. For those who don't know, outboard fuel lines have this primer bulb (with a built in one way valve), to purge the fuel line of air as the engine driven diaphragm pumps on outboards aren't large enough to prime several metres of fuel line when cold cranking.
Anyway, I looked at the line and the primer and dropped one end into the bottle of gear oil. Three pumps of the bulb later, I had a huge volume of oil gushing out of the other end. It worked REALLY well!
My tip: buy yourself a universal outboard fuel line kit (the type with bulb attached) for about $20. There are various diameters available, larger the better obviously and have around 1.8m of hose, so you won't have any problems on most vehicle short of large trucks.

Regards, Andrew.

MD

Good tip

The 75W90 oils, I pressurise a measured amount in a sturdy container and blow it in gently and carefully..or else, SPACHOOKIE >>>>>
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0