Any 3.0L 12 Valve turbo setups? just looking at ideas if i keep the car:D

Started by turboalfa, December 08, 2010, 10:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboalfa

hey guys just wondering if anyone has pictures or different setup examples of ethier twin or single turbo setups not sure if ill do it, but if i do i wanna know if its better to go single or twin.

Lorenzo Latin
GTV6 3.0L

dehne

i was looking at turboing the 2.5 90 but instead after reading all the options i think i will go to supercharging is this an option for you, it may mean that you have to chamge ur name to superalfa, but it still works
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Duk

GTV6.com is where it's at for turbo'd V6's:
http://alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3930
http://alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2838
http://alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2006

A single turbo set up would be cheaper, but the manifold would be more involved. The joining of driver's side manifold to passenger side should also have a degree of flex in it to allow for the expansion from the massive heat retention to prevent cracking.
A single turbo has less intercooler plumbing, both the number of and length.
The larger 3" single exhaust would be a much tighter fit coming out of the engine bay between the steering rack and fire wall (it has been done tho). Where twins could use twin 2.25" pipes (about the same cross sectional area as a single 3" pipe) in the same way as the standard V6 does, much easier.

turboalfa

hmm interesting points.. yea dehne id have to change my name to superalfa  ;) haha .. also ive never been a big fan of superchargers. not that i have any idea why i havent . but i also have two t04 sitting my garage doing nothing:S .. so its also cheaper for me hahaha.

also problem with one turbo i would worry about might be the lag due to the manifolds and getting the right lengths. but ill have a look at those links now and check it all out.
GTV6 3.0L

Duk

Quote from: turboalfa on December 09, 2010, 10:38:56 AM
hmm interesting points.. yea dehne id have to change my name to superalfa  ;) haha .. also ive never been a big fan of superchargers. not that i have any idea why i havent . but i also have two t04 sitting my garage doing nothing:S .. so its also cheaper for me hahaha.

also problem with one turbo i would worry about might be the lag due to the manifolds and getting the right lengths. but ill have a look at those links now and check it all out.

Good manifold design would come down to pipe diameter and proper flow consideration (no crappy log manifolds). If I built a road car single turbo, I would make a new driver side manifold that used 1.5" pipe into a nice merge collector, keeping pipe length as short as possible (no real need/benefit in chasing any sort of tuned length), that used a 1.5" outlet and 1.5" pipe to the passenger side manifold. This would keep gas velocity up and improve turbo response. Good design and manufacturing would keep out right flow very good aswell.

turboalfa

Duk , I gotta admit i like what your saying. especially because i think 2 turbos looks extremely messy.

also im thinking if i go single ill use a GT60R like my uncle used on his 75 turbo Twinspark he built awhille ago.

he pulled 425hp . 245 KW and the wheels:) .
GTV6 3.0L

dehne

what ever you do please take pics of it so other can benifit from ur experience, there are pic on the net of the callaway twin turbos on the gtv6 and they look pretty good
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's