Pedal power!!

Started by paul edwards, December 13, 2010, 10:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul edwards

G'day Sheldon

A few pics of my new Bike, thought it best to start a new topic.

As a kid who loved BMX bikes and Mongoose was and still is a top brand to ride, l never had the chance to own a real Mongoose bike in the past, so when l was looking around for a new bike, l found this Mongoose Mountain bike that was sitting in a dark corner of the shop, l said what's the go with this one? he said that's probably the best one here, but it's last years model and no one want's it and we are discounting it. l took it for a ride and it was beautiful, it fitted my perfectly as it's a large, funny thing is, not a lot of bike shop stock large frame bikes around here. l was very lucky and l love love, the tracks around here a fantastic fun.

Cheers Paul

Ps to every who loves and rides push bikes post up your bike and tell us about it.....

Storm_X

Its allways good to go out for a nice bike ride.

I used to ride my bikes daily all the time when i was younger, then i bought a alfa and i have never been on a bike since.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Paul Gulliver

Paul,

While we are on old photo's here's a rare photo from the 1940 Tour de France

http://i.imgur.com/2JVHa.jpg

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Sheldon McIntosh

Hey Paul.  Nice looking bike.  I've been out of the scene for a while, I haven't seen that rear suspension design before.  How much travel does it have?

Here's my current ride, currently set up as a street cruiser.  It's an Avanti Lightning.  I had to get it, for a number of reasons....

1.  It's a New Zealand (designed) bike with an Italian name.
...yeah, that's it really...

But it was cheap as hell (about $800 from memory, about 4 years ago) for what it is.  It's an excellent and very strong frame, but it was cheap because the forks are terrible, and because it had the short-lived reverse STI system (which is actually very logical, but just takes a little getting used to) which no-one wanted.

BradGTV

after soccer and alfas comes my bike  ;D
its a 2006 norco atomik, it took we a while to save up for it but well worth the wait,
i try and get up to the downhill trails here in sa once and month but now summer is here it will hopefully be alot often.
cheers, Brad
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

BradGTV

thanks paul, yes it was top of the line back in 06,
i know excatly what you mean about rear suspension taking the energy! when i ride mine around the streets it is a real bugger casue every down pedal the bike sages down. but for landing jumps and large rocks its awesome. i used to own a norco manik, which is a hard tail, much easier to ride, but i got sick of replacing buckled rims after landing a large jump!  i replaced a rear rim 3 times, and i can tell you they are not cheap!
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Joe Falcone

Quote from: paul edwards on December 14, 2010, 02:52:01 PM
Hi Storm,

It's truly a great feeling riding a bike that's for sure. Driving or better still racing my Alfa is still the best.
      Here is a classic photo from Le tour de France 1952 the rider is Fausto Coppi said to be the Tazio Nouvolari of the cycle racing world with the very cool Alfa Romeo Matta support vehicle in the back ground, just love this Photo.

Cheers Paul

coppi's a legend

joe
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

Joe Falcone

pretty old, sorry didnt check the date

joe
1979 Alfetta GTV
1991 75 3.0 QV (potenziata)
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
2021 Stelvio Veloce

wankski

haha, cool thread...

yeah, i'm pretty bike obsessed lol. got roadies and MTB - worked as a bike mech for a while and still build wheels from time to time.

Here's a resto i did - time to sell.

Single Speed perfection:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fully-restored-single-speed-Peugeot-Ou8-road-bike-/270690406756?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item3f0667d164

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: wankski on January 11, 2011, 02:33:49 PM
Here's a resto i did - time to sell.

Single Speed perfection:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fully-restored-single-speed-Peugeot-Ou8-road-bike-/270690406756?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Bikes&hash=item3f0667d164

That's a very nice bike.  I love those MAFAC brakes, I've got a set of those and a Brooks saddle in storage back home, just waiting for the time.....

I think the whole hipster fixie thing is gonna come crashing down soon (fantastic, there'll be some bargains around) but at least it's saved some really nice old frames from being neglected.

wankski

Thanks,

yeah - that's what I reckon too. My old boss at the bike shop also thinks they're on the down, and advised to selll sooner rather than later. (right after xmas and in crap weather is not ideal tho). But fixed steel was never based on common sense...

I really liked restoring everything - always wanted to do it... Saddles, brakes - all very cool - but I feel technology has moved on.

For a commuter, a lively cheap alu frame in the right geo is just more useful and practical for me i think. These classic bikes are really just for show these days (and boy do they serve that purpose!)

too nice, and too much history to fang about on. Certainly way too nice for some trashy fixie rider to deface with rattle can spray jobs and ugly FOTM stickers.

Joe

Mat Francis

Great thread Paul!

Brad: excellent choice. I used to have a 2004 norco torrent. Spent about a years wages from the fish and chip shop i worked at on it. Sold it a few years back to fund a set of wheels for the car. Pretty big regret that.

'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Simon Bidese

Hi guys,

I'm a roadie, and commuter mainly.
From home (wheelers hill) to the city, usually 2-3 days per week during summer.  Maybe 1 day per week during winter. 

I'm on leave this week and looking for a break in the rain to climb Mt Dandenong.
Here's a my bike
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/road/1392/29715/

Cheers Simon

ChrisGTA

Nice jump Mat!

Treks for me - an old carbon roadie and a more recent MTB  ;)

Neil Choi

Many many moons ago, there was about a dozen and more alfisti ciclisti who went out regularly, unfortunately due to various reasons, mostly through busy family and work life, the group disbanded.  The group mostly wore the Alfa race gear and looked pretty cool.

Anyway, while my ride this morning, bumped into another alfisti ciclisti (Bill) in Alfa gear and thought how many other alfisti ciclisti are there on the road on the w/e or around.

Weil, I am planning to ride this Wednesday 26th Jan from or near St Kilda to Frankston and back (90 km, 2-3 h, moderate to hard and fast to earn the breakfast), ending in the Domain to catch the Classic car display.  Probably will park initially near the Shrine and ride and meet down from Cafe Racer.

Probably start 7-7:30am and finish 10:30-11am.

Seeing any takers.

I probably have one other, Damon who I will drag out of bed and not too embarrassed to ride with dad.

Let me know and we will plan to meet.

Pics of Alfa gear attached.

Neil