156 JTS ABS/VDC FAILURE

Started by alfaboy156, April 20, 2010, 10:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaboy156

HELLO FELLOW ALFISTI

Well ive read through and ive got a feeling that this might be a new "issue"
ABS + VDC keeps on "failing" according to my (very informative) display
The car has been hooked up to diagnostic at my very trusted alfa mechanic in Perth and the reading given is sensor failure.
The part new (before fitting- i have to sit down to advise you) is $815!!!!! ( so they say...)
it only does it on cold start after the brake pedal is depressed a few times, if i turn the car off and re-start it doesn't happen again. Im not going to pay tht $$ to replace as it is very erratic.
Has anyone else had this ? btw in addition to my comments approx 12mnths ago the famous MOTOR CONTROL SYSTEM FAILURE still raises its ugly head however im just going to continue  live with it (longest stint with no message was 3 months).
all info/feedback welcome.
Still love every bit of the car never the less.

alfaboy156
PERTH

Davidm1600

Just really quickly I have had my '03 JTS 156 Sportwagon and havn't suffered this problem. Hmn not sure I wish to either given the cost.  I have had both the emissions managment sensor die, which cost $240 inc labour to sort out and very recently the motor management sensor died which cost $470 inc labour to sort out. 

Apart from these two problems my car has been excellent over the past 2 1/2 years.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

BarryDalHerbert

I occasionally get this fault too.  Always within the first few hundred metres of a start with a cold engine, and I don't have to brake first.  Stopping the engine and restarting it make the "fault" go away.

Page 182 of my owners' manual (they actually call it an owner's manual - it must be a personalised printing just for me!) says that the brake pedal should be depressed when the 2.0 JTS model is started, and although I always have been doing that, since I took to pressing it at emergency stop pressure I have had no repeats of the error.  Time will tell if that is all that is required though...

BdH
Canberra
Sat 15-Jan-11  22:54

colcol

ABS-VDC failure, i had the alarm come up on the central dash display a while ago, it was due to a sensor failure on the left back brake for the ABS, i know it failed because i broke it when i was changing the back brake pads!, i found it on the floor after i swept up, it was about the size of a match head, a new sensor [genuine] from Alfa was $280 plus fitting, i purchased a good secondhand one from a Alfa wrecker for about $100, fitted it and the ABS-VDC failure warning alarm was fixed, i hope yours is this easy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

yes, if its coding back as an error on a sensor w/ a specific location - replace the sensor... take a look at it, it may be a simple as poor connection or frayed wire. if so, fix is very cheap.

Failing that you can still drive the car, and order in the part from the UK. Aus prices are insane. IIRC the sensor is around 50quid ea, plus shipping. not a big deal. replacement is easy if you can jack your car and remove your wheel. simple nut retains the sensor to the brake backing plate, with a molex-type connector to the ABS loom. Recheck all wiring and you should be good to go.

Craig_m67

It could be any of the sensors in the braking system couldn't it?

In my research/experience it's more commonly found to be the brake pedal switch - easy to check too, park so you get a reflection of rear lamps (shop window) and press the pedal a half dozen times (soft, stab, wiggle, etc) if they don't flash exactly as you press, you found the problem.

My car has this problem, i was alerted to it when somebody behind me told me my brake lights weren't working.. and then they were (community eh, who'd thought!)

The error clears/resets every start, my ABS still works when this error is lit (yes, i tried it)
I ought to look up the part number in ePer and order a new one from the UK, Alfa Australia are theives, in bed with Gerry Harvey
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

DDALFA

I have a 156jts too and very ocassionaly had this error comming up on the very very informative display as u described.

Changing sensors is one way to fix the error .....increasing your personal level of ignorance is another .....i have been following the second rule after visiting several experts and removing codes and changing sensors.

for sure, someone at alfa had plenty time on their hands to do a data entry job of entering as many codes as possible into a car ....and the outcome was alfa JTS.

Some one quoted me before buying an alfa  " you need to have passion to drive an Alfa + passion of standing in scorching heat, pouring rain and biting cold when it breaks down"

I respect my JTS ...u do for yours ....and these patchy stains  of error codes will automatically fade away.

wankski

good point lads... i missed the bit about the brakes - yes can be brake switch - check that too...

but especially if its coding then going away - may be a duff sensor and you can fix it for good.... it may just be wiring or crap caked on the sensor u can fix for free... no abs or vdc when the light is on...

seriously, code it and it will tell u - its a smart system (if it pings back on teh same thing more than once u're on a pretty solid bet!) - speaking of which it's of course a BOSCH system. Check out the parts in your engine bay - u can blame the germans for that  ;)

(alfa probably used el cheap wire/connectors with the contract going to the absolute lowest tender which is usually the problem cf german makes which may or  may not be mroe reliable!)