Another Subject - Megasquirts

Started by shane wescott, January 20, 2011, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane wescott

Hi Guys

Doing a bit of dreaming and research, already spoken to a guy about stand GTV6 with a low boost SuperCharger, and now looking at Megasquirts.

what do people use on GTV6's, the MS I is probably going to do what a fairly standard GTV6 requires, but for an extra $50 i am thinking MS II would be the go.

Plus I get to build it myself - excellent.

This is also a little bit of planning just in case I get a ECU issue and am faced with a high replacement cost.

Any current user of MS running them on standard cars, or are they all running in racing rockets.

Thanks

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Jekyll and Hyde

MS1 will be fine for a standard GTV6, the only feature you're likely to use from MS2 is the bigger fuel and spark tables.  Run the Extra code, and take control of your spark too.

Good upgrade for any L-jet car, as you get to turf the very restrictive flapper AFM, and have more accurate fueling across the rev range.  Be prepared for a big learning curve.

BradGTV

79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

shane wescott

Sounds like fun. MS I could be the go then for my simple requirements.

Thanks for the input and the link Brad.

catch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

wankski

Shane,

Sorry to spam - I have a 95% complete MS V2.2 (they can be upgraded to II). I will be willing to pass on to alfisti for below cost (passed test stage with stim)

includes (low-z) fly back board, stim, and alu case...

I built it for a gtv6 that i never bought... don't think i ever will so i would like to see it live on...

Lemme know anyways!

Joe

Edit:changed version number!

wankski

oh and to answer ur question (seems u have anyway) its simpler to lock the dizzy and go w/ MSI with fuel - u get 90% of the benefit right there...

not to worry, if you want to mess around with spark u can do that later on by adding the MSII daughter card to the MSI that adds spark feature... (simply remove IC and install daughter card in its place)...

like i said, i planned to get a gtv6 and the MS was a slam dunk IMHO - got rid of the expensive and restrictive AFM that often goes wrong in a gtv6 (get some good silicone hoses and your golden!)

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: wankski on January 21, 2011, 01:25:27 PM
oh and to answer ur question (seems u have anyway) its simpler to lock the dizzy and go w/ MSI with fuel - u get 90% of the benefit right there...

not to worry, if you want to mess around with spark u can do that later on by adding the MSII daughter card to the MSI that adds spark feature... (simply remove IC and install daughter card in its place)...

like i said, i planned to get a gtv6 and the MS was a slam dunk IMHO - got rid of the expensive and restrictive AFM that often goes wrong in a gtv6 (get some good silicone hoses and your golden!)

Confused about this one - are you suggesting to lock the dizzy up so it doesn't have any advance (ie the same timing right through the rev range), and then only run fuel control?  That would sort of defeat the point of putting the MS on, given that the idea is to get better running....

And FYI to do spark, you do not require to upgrade to MS2.  You simply need to load in the MsExtra code, which has MANY more features than the 'standard' code, spark control among them.

wankski

yep... and i s'pose that's true....

that was the prevailing wisdom at the time i built this which was AGES ago... I can't even think of when... 2003? No doubt much has changed since then and spark mapping is probably made real easy with a few dozen maps floating around...

I really haven't kept up with it all.... at the first stage of my implementaion I was just concerned with getting it running with a basic fuel map, without the AFM. So I wanted to eliminate dizzy for testing purposes...

Obviously i didn't get that far (funny trying to sell it now, I met up with a lad from the gtv6 forums who wanted to buy it as it for $350 at the time for his 3.0 75... I was like 'nah, pretty sure i'll be using it') LOL!

I'm pretty sure at the time I built the ecu, spark control wasn't even available...!? could be wrong... No kidding i suffered global amnesia b/w then and now in a cycling accident, I just have no Fking Idea what was available when.

don't worry - my MS was built way before my brain damage :) and shortly after my stint as an electrical engineer.

I make rediculously high end singal amplifiers (audio) now, and my soldering then was probably better than it is now...

ok spiel over...

wankski

oh and true about MSII - what I mean to say is its not like u have to choose, you can start with I then go the daughter card route IIRC....