GTV6 Light Stalk assy

Started by xcad, December 12, 2010, 03:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcad

Hi, first post.
Does anyone know of any alternatives to replacing the switch assembly that has a broken plastic actuator block? I think it is made of unobtanium. Someone said to me that a 75 assembly will fit. Can anyone confirm this?
TIA
John
86 GTV6 2.5

scuzzyGTV

gday xcad

I've got one fron an alfetta series 2 sedan spare. not sure of the compatability between sedan & GTV6, but it is the same unit that my 80 GTV has.

PM me if you're interested.

Scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

scuzzyGTV

pics attached for you.sorry about quality it's a little late/long day!
scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Darryl

Scott,
If xcad doesn't want your Alfetta asy (not sure if it fits the GTV6 either) I'm interested.

xcad

Daryl,
Scott doesn't have it anymore, I do. It probably will fit a GTV6 but you will have to cut some wires and fit spade connectors. Also the traffic indicator switch uses a different canceling mechanism and the one I have is unserviceable. However it could be used as a template to make a replacement. I ended up repairing the old switch by drilling out the copper rivets with a 3.5mm drill bit very carefully. Subsequently these rivets were replaced with 3.0mm metal thread screws (from Jaycar). The trouble with mine was the actuator cam had split and would not turn with the stalk. I cleaned the cam thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol (Jaycar again) and stuck it together with Holdtite CA41 cyanoacrylate. The cam is nylon so the sticking surfaces need to be activated with Holdtite A701 primer. The repair worked well but to be sure I bound a couple of places around the outside of the cam where it would not interfere with the switch action with carbon fiber strands that were then soaked in the same CA41.
If you are looking to repair a GTV6 headlight switch similarly PM me with a contact, there are a few gotchas for the unwary. If its an Alfetta switch you want PM me as I have it spare.
I see we're in the same neck of the woods; how did the floods treat you?
John
86 GTV6 2.5

Darryl

Hi,
Thanks for the tips on repair (which are handy regardless) - you definitely get bragging rights for the only carbon fiber reinforced indicator switch...

I was actually after a switch for an alfetta - PM on its way - though I'm actually on the hunt for quite a few fetta bits so I'll see what turns up...

I'm in Fairfield, in a highset Queenslander - managed to get most stuff out from under the house but the resto on the turbo 'fetta just got a bit longer - didn't manage to get it out of there in time...