REMOVAL OF ALFA 156 BITS & PIECES?

Started by ALFA156DALE, January 12, 2011, 03:30:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALFA156DALE

Hi, I have recently purchased some MOMO bits for my alfa off ebay, they are a MOMO gear knob, a set of MOMO foot pedals, a MOMO handbrake handle thingo, and a MOMO chormey grill (not sure if I will keep this one.) But what I am asking as the title suggests is how to fit all these bits and pieces, I know how to fit the grill (if I like it) and the foot pedals I assume they just slip on, Iam not sure about the gear knob and how to get the old one off (its a Q-system) and I think maybe the handbrake handle will just pull off with a bit of force.

Thanks these may be silly questions, but i dont want a damage anything.
So I thought may as well ask the professionals  ;)

Cheers
Dale.
-------------------------------
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202

wankski

Sorry mate - dunno about the Q-system handle... looks similar to the v6 manual w/ lockout, but i can't be sure so i'll keep stumm.

The brake handle joins at the seam and is simply glued on... use a putty knife, flat head screw driver or similar to prize off the old one... depending on fit, the replacement momo may simply slide on or may require modification - esp if it comes with its own release button.

ALFA156DALE

Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202

Sheldon McIntosh

alfagtv58

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

shiny_car

gearknob: not sure, but in the TS 156 it is glued on and people often saw it off! You could try a heatgun to see if it softens and breaks the bond, but otherwise you probably need to be aggressive

foot pedal pads: need to be bolted on; remove the factory rubber ones to reveal the metal base; brace each pedal from behind (eg: chock them with phone book or scrap wood, whatever); hold each pedal pad over the metal base and mark holes with pen/pencil; drill and bolt

handbrake handle: as described already, factory is glued in position; you could use a utility knife and slice along it underneath (doing it underneath gives the option of regluing it in position when you sell the car; otherwise, just cut wherever you like); softening the glue with a heatgun is helpful; do you have the adaptor end plug? Basically, the MOMO handle requires a plug (part model, number: A1, 25011500001) that slips over the end of the lever where the knob/button is, and the plug supports the handle in position at this end; other end is secured with grub screws; you'll find the factory leather gaiter is too small a diameter to fit over the MOMO handle; best to buy a matching MOMO gaiter (part model: U2)

These were the parts to suit my GT, to have an idea of what the adaptor can look like and gaiter (the adaptor is the same part number for the 147/156/GT, but gaiter is different for the 156):

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

ALFA156DALE

Hi shiny_car thanks for all that info, that handbrake handle is the same as mine and yes i have got about ten different adapters (not sure why there are so many?) i dont have the gaiter though, i might have a look at the price of the momo ones. I havn't had the chance to put the momo bits on yet, but i got the springs in and alfa looks so much better now just slightly lowered and it handles alot better too. Another problem has just popped up, when dad and i worked out how to take the shocker and spring out as a unit on the front of the car, the whole lot dropped down and split the CV boot open i didnt notice it until today when i found grease all over my wheel. So that means more money on Alfa, but as Clarkson says "An Alfa Romeo is never boring."  ::)

Hopefully i can get the CV boot for alfa next week, but while i wait Alfa is off the road, again only after putting the springs in the other day. oh well i can wait because after a few days out of Alfa, it feels like christmas hoping into and driving it again  ;D

anyway thanks for your help guys!
Cheers
Dale
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202