Twin spark flat at high rpm

Started by Steve S, January 01, 2011, 09:27:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S

Hi

I have noticed that my 147 goes rather flat after about 5000rpm. I remember driving a 156 years ago and it seemed to be the reverse, it had a noticeable kick at high rpm rather than going flat like mine. I was wondering if this could be a problem with the variator? The engine is standard.

colcol

I am told by people who know more than me that when a variator goes bad the engine starts to sound like a diesel, but it could also be a variator that is not working properly, but isn't noisy, if the wrong oil is used in the engine and the oil changes are skipped then the variator will not work to its full capacity, i was told by a Euro car mechanic, that drivers take their cars to franchised service centres and they use the wrong [cheap] oil the variator stops working, the car looses 20 h.p., they bring it to him, he changes the oil to the correct grade and presto the driver says it feels like it was before, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Steve S

Thanks for the reply. It is running on Selenia racing so that rules that out.

The car had a cambelt done at the last service (60k) but the variator was not replaced, it's not noisy. Its no big deal, but I feels im missing out on something.

AR116

IMHO and quickly reading your post it sounds like the airflow meter is stuffed. You could try a replacement from a friend and see if it cures it before buying a new one.

Steve S

I did suspect that at one stage. I kind of discounted it as its runs perfect, I only suspect its down on power. All AFM problems I've seen before have seemed a lot more severe. Anyway I'd love to try one out if there was anyone kind enough to lend it to me. Cheers, Steve

colcol

Although i have never done a Air Flow Meter, the experience with freinds with normal cars is that when they become faulty the car will idle and rev to about 2,000R.P.M., just to get you home, but i have been told you can buy a cleaner for them from Repco to disolve all the muck they accumulate, they have a wire in them and a current goes through the wire and heats up the wire and the more air that goes through the AFM the cooler the wire gets, from this temperature the engine managment system can determine how much air is passing through the AFM, my knowledge on this is limited, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]