New gadget - HUD GPS speedo

Started by Victor Lee, February 25, 2011, 08:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor Lee

I like gadgets!  ;D ;D

In these days of speed cameras, etc, and that the GTV6 has different profile tyres, diff diff ratios, painted a bright colour; it doesn't need added attention for speeding to/from club events.

I was looking for a GPS speedo, like what is displayed in small numbers on the corner of the screen on my Garmin, but bigger in numbers so it is easier to read at a glance.  I wondered if a HUD GPS speedo existed ... it does!

In my search, there are HUD devices that tap into your car's existing speedo reading, and even one that plugs into your OBD port to display RPM, speed and other things.  But since the GTV6 does not have an accurate speedo source nor OBD port, that was not an option.

There is one found on Ebay but it is bulkier than this one I got from the UK .  See pic.  AUD165 delivered is not a bad price!  If interested, google Speed Visio Nomad.  (It must be the Nomad version as the the non-Nomad version is not GPS and must be tapped into your car's speedo)

Cheers

Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

aggie57

Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Sheldon McIntosh

Just like in a 1993 Nissan Bluebird!! 

Cool gadget though, especially for a track-car.

scuzzyGTV

Hi Victor, great find, been wondering what I'll do for my speedo!
Where does it get its power form? Batteries, or can it be plugged into the wring loom?
Thanks
Scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

AikenDrum105

Shiny !

the Bluebird I mean,    but the HUD is cool too ;)
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Victor Lee

Scott, it just plugs into the cigarette lighter!  But this model also has an internal battery, so once it's charged, it can last 4-5 hours battery cable free.  The only downside it does not come with AC charger, so u either have to charge it in the car for 5 hours or have a similar plug and AC charger already.  I arsed it with my old Garmin GPS AC charger and had the same plug and same 5V and 1000mah output.

For my GTV6, which doesn't have a cigarette lighter anymore, we'll hardwire it in somehow.

For the track:  got to find a way to install it that will keep Chief Scrutineer Bruno happy!

And we won't mention the M5 in present company!  ;)
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Duk

If you're prepared to replace gauges in your car http://www.speedhut.com/gauge_products-gauge_type-speedometer.htm have some (IMO) really nice gauges, and the speedo gauges are GPS based.

Victor Lee

Hey Duk, I like your suggestion too!  Bit more pricey than the HUD unit, but could blend in nicely with the other actual gauges.  Especially as you can customise it.

monoman

I've been running a GPS for speed for many years now.  My take is that they are not much good in the tunnel, and can be less than ideal during stormy weather.  It pays to know what speed you are doing based on selected gear and revs. 

My current pet peeve with my GPS is that as you approach an intersection with a speed camera, it replaces the speed display with a flashing speed camera warning.  Doh! What were they thinking.