75 Brake Discs

Started by f1worldchamp, January 31, 2011, 10:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

f1worldchamp

Hi guys
I need to replace the front brake discs (and rear eventually) on the 75. Now I've phoned all the usual places, and it's not the prices I concerned with but I don;t know any of the brands they are offering. Martelli, TRW, Protex etc. Does anyone have any experience with one or the other. Are they all much the same? One place did say they did Brembo discs, are they worth the extra?
Also wondering if I'd get excessive wear on the disc if I used EBC Greenstuff on any of the above mentioned brands.
Thanks
Current:
2006 159 JTDm
Past:
2000 GTV 2.0 Twin Spark
1973 1600 GT Junior
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Run with the bulls
Swim with the Sharks
Race with the Italians

Storm_X

Quote from: Choderboy on January 31, 2011, 11:29:53 PM
Hey mate,

I would guess that the expensive rotors would handle the heat better and thus be less susceptible to warping.
With this sort of stuff you are pretty safe assuming the price reflects the quality of the product. 

I remember buying brake discs from Turin Imports about 10 years ago and they sent some in yellow and red boxes with the brand "CAR" on them. They worked.

RDA seem to make good quality products. I've bought RDA rotors before and they have been great.

EBC Green Stuff won't cause any noticeable excessive wear. I used the pads for years on a road/track car and never had a problem. They do work better though after a few hard stops warm them up. And I did find that they leave a lot of brake dust on your wheels which was a little annoying as the box claims to have "more bite, less dust".

Meh...

Cheers.

I was at the Spare Parts Place in Adelaide and they had red and yellow boxes stacked to the roof of alfa rotors, also not badly priced those guys on most items.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Alan Hopla

Recently bought a set of 75 rotors through ABS brakes.
Delivered to the store the same day, they turned out to be Brembo.

Alan.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

Storm_X

Quote from: Alan Hopla on February 01, 2011, 07:26:00 PM
Recently bought a set of 75 rotors through ABS brakes.
Delivered to the store the same day, they turned out to be Brembo.

Alan.

Price ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

MD

Installed some Protex front rotors on a Holden Commodore that became warped in two days..normal use.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

giulia_veloce

Hi Md.

Many Commodore front brake discs warp due to the wheel nuts being tighten too much.
On your next set,torque the wheel nuts to 110 Nm
Just a thought.

Robert

Duk

Quote from: f1worldchamp on January 31, 2011, 10:32:37 PM
Also wondering if I'd get excessive wear on the disc if I used EBC Greenstuff on any of the above mentioned brands.

After having 2 cars with EBC Greenstuff I can highly recommend Racebrakes brake pads............  ;)
Whether they make pads for the 2 piston Brembo calipers is another thing.

MD

Thanks Robert.

Not an angle that has occured to me before so I will keep in mind.

Nevertheless, I think metallurgy has a big bearing on it combined with the nature of brake use by the driver. For instance, my BA Falcon wagon which is a service vehicle that I use has just started to develop a slight rotor warp as I am beginning to feel a small pulsation of the pedal. This is after 60,000kms on the same rotors. It is an automatic and they require special care in brake usage especially in hilly terrain to avoid overheating on downhill runs. I know all these rules and have applied them over time and yet the rotors are warping whilst within their tolerance range.

The worst case of warped rotors I ever experienced was with an Alfetta GTV 2.0 that I purchased second hand. On the test drive under hard brakes the rear of the car had a violet vibration. Turned out to be the rotors because the previous owner left the hand brake on and cooked them well and truly.

I can honestly say that of all the Alfas that I have owned over the years, none of my cars have ever had a rotor problem. Then again, when  I think about it, in the main these have been ATE components.

( what's with this null guy I cannot seem to get rid of ??  )
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

f1worldchamp

Having worked in a Ford dealer for some time, I am familiar with the brake warping on the Falcons. We replaced many front discs, which at the time I thought strange, till I worked with Euro brands.

I am having trouble getting an handle on these discs for the 75. One place gave me a price and said they were for Brembo, then I rang back (a few weeks later) to order them and he had a different brand. Apparently they just get whatever brand their supplier decides to send them.  ???
At this stage I'm leaning towards a set of slotted RDA discs, but I'm still looking!

Current:
2006 159 JTDm
Past:
2000 GTV 2.0 Twin Spark
1973 1600 GT Junior
1987 Alfa 75 2.5

Run with the bulls
Swim with the Sharks
Race with the Italians

Paul Newby

Guys, as far as I know Brembo discs are OEM fitment.

I've used sloted DBA rotors without any issues.

1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout