Spark Plug Choice for TS

Started by GTVeloce, February 11, 2011, 10:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Hi all

I tried to buy some Golden Lodge plugs for my TS and have been told they ceased production a couple of years ago. What are people's recomendations for replacement? I have two TS's and they are both in stock tune but good condition. Does anyone know what the later TS engine's came with as standard and what Alfa recommend as a replacement? Would they be suitable?

Thanks

ARQ164 Shane

gday ,
What do you won't the car to do??eg; road,racing,club car etc.
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Tastarga

You can get Golden Lodge plugs from ITAL motors in Hawthorn (Michael Cipriani)- about $15 each, or Classic Alfa in Uk - see link:

http://www.classicalfa.co.uk/shop/category36_1.htm

But does it matter? Are they really "better" or is this an urban myth??
Alfa 75 Twin Spark (daily driver)
Alfa 1750 GTV Rally Car (Targa Tasmania etc)
Alfa 1750 GTV Road car
Ferrari 365GT 2+2 (Former Targa car)
MG TC supercharged X2 (All purpose fun cars)

GTVeloce

QuoteWhat do you won't the car to do??eg; road,racing,club car etc.
The 75 is just an everyday driver while the GTV is road and club races.

Tastarga - what do you use in your 75? Thanks for the places; I will try the guy in Hawthorn.

As to the myth: I tried Bosch plugs (don't remember which ones but whatever the recommendation was) and then scored some GL plugs. The GL plugs made the car noticeably smoother at idle. The 75 is a recent aquisition and it has issues with coming back to idle (hunting) so am keen to try some new plugs to see if it will rectify the situation.

Cheers
Julian

Tastarga

Julian, I've had my car for 20000kms, had it serviced by Michael as fuel consumption had risen for no apparent reason.Amongst other things, replaced fuel pressure regulator, a worn distributor, cleaned injectors etc AND fitted Golden Lodge plugs (at $15 each!).Must admit car is going very well, but am not convinced that the Golden Lodge plugs are the reason. I run NGK plugs (B6ES or B7ES) in the Giulia coupe's and the Ferrari with no problems. The "myth" I believe is that the original design engineers of the mighty Alfa 4 cylinder engines refused to use anything other than Golden Lodge - but that could just be mad Italian bravado - perhaps his son in law made them!If you can be bothered to swap them over, you can borrow mine for a couple of days and see if this solves your problem.
David
Alfa 75 Twin Spark (daily driver)
Alfa 1750 GTV Rally Car (Targa Tasmania etc)
Alfa 1750 GTV Road car
Ferrari 365GT 2+2 (Former Targa car)
MG TC supercharged X2 (All purpose fun cars)