V12 AWD GTV Bimotore

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, February 22, 2011, 12:20:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Interesting project here.  But pretty boring video, unless you understand Dutch.

I stole this from another forum.....

I ripped this summary from a forum, as I'm too lazy to translate it myself. I adjusted some mistakes.
Summary:
Front engine is a standard 3.0L. 245bhp
Rear engine is a 3.2 from a 156 GTA, also running 245 bhp
Rear engine mounted on a 166 subframe, to which everything is mounted. Cooling was an issue, but he modified the rear spoiler to push the air downwards in to the radiators.
The exhaust for the rear engine is completely custom, the right exhaust is for the rear motor, the left for the front.
He says the synchronisation between the two motors was quite simple, using the gearboxes and clutches. In the car, everything for the front motor is on the left, everything for the rear on the right. You start the front engine first, and then the rear.

Driving the car is an adventure!
It cruises very nicely between 160-180kph (100-110 mph). It catapults out of corners very well, and he enjoys driving it in the mountains.
He talks a bit about the gear ratios. In theory itll do 290kph, but he hasn't tried it at such speeds yet.

I think that info about the GTA engine is incorrect though.  I found one page with info about the car, but again in Dutch, and it has a dyno printout saying it is a 5918cc V12.  There are some photos of the work done on the website also.

To see the page, go to www.squadra-tuning.nl , click on - chiptuning, then  - specials, then - GTV Bi-Motore, and scroll down a bit.

AikenDrum105

Surely that violates the awesomeness per sq. in. contraints of the universe,  risking the formation of a black hole, a parallel universe, or the stay-puft marshmallow man.....

What better place to listen to the howl of a V12, than right in the middle of it....

Excellent link :)
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

colcol

We should invite this guy and his car along to the 932 Technical workshop night at Marranello Motors, and get it up on the hoist and have a good look, and get Neil along and see what class the car would belong in, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]