FS: TS bumpers

Started by Mat Francis, February 19, 2011, 11:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mat Francis

Planned on buying another 75, so was keeping these. Not going to need them now though.
Front one will need a bracket replaced, as shown in photo. I suspect this is a pretty common job.
Bolts stuck in the rear mounts, I cut the heads off them as i was in a hurry.
Most importantly though, they are straight, and weigh 5/8's of FA.

$150 ono. If i get 150, I'll donate $15 each to Sheldon and Stuart for the rally.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

shiny_car

Qs:
Are these still for sale?
Are TS bumpers a direct swap for the US versions on a 3.0?
Are replacement brackets easy enough to find - I presume so from a wrecker? Sikaflex would presumably fix one on
Are the bolts on the rear bumpers a matter of soaking/twisting off or drilling out? Anything major there, like potential damage to remove the bolts?

Thanks.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Anthony Miller

Richard, I do believe that there is a bit of work involved to fit twin spark bumpers to a 3.0l, unfortunately not just a straight swap. Deano(Burrows) has done this to his track car and said it was a prick of a job and He had lots of help from the crew at Maranello motors, something about the mounts for the US spec 3.0l bumpers being totally different to the non impact absorbing twinnie bumpers. At half the wieght of the 3.0l bumpers, I can see why you'd want to do this for a track car but for a fast roadie you gotta ask youself is it really worth the trouble as the 3.0l bumpers look better anyway.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

goodallallan

I swapped the 3.0l (USA style) bumpers to TS  ones on my 75. I did for 2 reasons: save weight and the TS ones look better. I don't remember it being too difficult a job - had to cobble up some new brackets at the back, but I used aluminium because its easier to work with and I didn't worry about attaching it super securely. Its just cosmetic and they haven't fallen off and its about 3 years now.
Present
'87 75 2.5 V6 (white)
'79 GTV 2.0 (rosso)
'83 GTV 2.0 (rosso)
'85 GTV 2.0 (rosso)
'01 Jaguar XJR 4.0 V8 supercharged
'02 Jaguar S type R 4.2 V8 supercharged
Past
'80 Alfetta 2.0 (grigio)
'85 GTV6 (rosso)
'80 Guilliette 1.8 (rosso)
'88 75 3.0 litre 24 valve (grigio)

shiny_car

Thanks for the feedback guys. :)

Personally, I think they look better too ;) so it's a subjective thing.  :D

On checking the workshop manual, it refers only to the TS bumpers, which look very straight forward to remove. But does bolt on via metal brackets (that goodallallan refers to), which are not supplied in this sale, and I don't know at this stage if the US bumpers have these same brackets, but I doubt it. Nothing a wrecker can't supply I think, or DIY as above.

I can fibreglass and repair, so modifying the rear bumper exhaust cut outs should be easy.

So I remain interested.  8)

shiny_car

Thanks for the email reply Mat.

I'm going to buy these, cheers.
Richard

Anthony Miller

Well done Richard, would be keen to see a new thread about how you put them on.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)