Respray...colour to be selected

Started by mickl, January 31, 2011, 08:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickl

Folks, I am close to the respray stage on my 2l Berlina.
It has been a dull mustard colour and I need a change. I am looking at a yellow but can`t find a good picture of any yellow alfas in my various books. I spotted a lemon spider from the 70`....prototype yellow??? but want somethink a little brighter. Is sunyellow brighter and is there a picture anywhere on the site or net??
Mickl

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

mickl

Many thanks Evan, the site was very good for these colour charts and giallo Prototype is probably the best of the yellows. i`m starting to dither though and it may become a VW sunflower colour like the late model VW cabrios.
regards
Mickl

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Barry Edmunds

Mickl

Somewhere on the AlfaBB Sedans Gallery there was a whole series of different coloured cars, one was Pagoda which was a deep yellow and looked great.

mickl

Well, the respray was yesterday and prototipo yellow was selected.........it is in reality quite a bright yellow/green almost .........nearly as bright as the yellow safety vests worn by the roadworking guys. It has grown on me a bit more but I will have to ditch the std steel wheels now and get some shiny mags as it is much too lairy for the old wheels. I have checked wheel stud pattern as 4 x 108 and there are a few other cars with this pattern but nothing really flash. Can anyone recommend me some cheap mags which might suit this very yellow sedate sedan??

Regards
Mickl

Davidm1600

Hi  Mickl I am not sure about cheap, but Superlites IMO look great on Berlinas.  Very period in style.  If you are not sure what these are, they look like Minilites that used to be used on Minis.  I have seen many a 105 GTV, Giulia and some Berlinas on these wheels. 

Otherwise, Momo vegas, Cromodora Daytonas also look good but they tend to be a little pricy (second hand).  Also the GTA replicas (ie through Alfaholics and Classic Alfa etc) look great but once again not cheap.

I used to have a set of BWAs -Alfa wheels (look a bit like a BBS/hotwheel style of wheel) with painted centre, polished outer rim.  I was very happy with how these looked on my old white 2L Berlina. I picked up my wheels off a mate for $300.  These will be going on either my Super or GTV in future. 

Goodluck and look forward to seeing some piccies of your Berlina. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Paul Gulliver

All of the above are great choices, but momo vega's for a 105 are going to set you back $750 to $1,000 if you can find them. You can get minitite look a likes (new) for about $200 a wheel from  Performance wheels in Dandenong.

An interesting "left field choice" is to keep watching ebay & trading post for early SAAB wheels they have the same pcd's as the 105 series.There is a SAAB mag wheel (rare but no rarer than mono vega's) that looks like the Alfaholics GTA reproduction wheel. If you give up looking just get the saab steel wheels and get then powder coated with a good silver. Should be able to get SAAB wheels for about $100 $200 a set.

Cheers

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

mickl

Thanks for the info on the wheels guys...........I am on the trail and will post a pic once the car is presentable. I may also post a "wanted" note soon which might flush something out??
regards
Mickl