spark plug leads for 3.0

Started by johnnyc, March 16, 2011, 06:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyc

hi,

my mechanic called today to say he had cleaned the motor, and on starting, the leads lit up like a xmas tree. they are stuffed. what leads are recommended, and what experience have you had with the brand you are using? any input is appreciated.

cheers jc

shiny_car

Curiously, is the mechanic not at least partly responsible for the failed leads? I mean, were they ok before he cleaned the engine?!

I've read that Magnecor are good quality. They offer standard thickness, 7.0mm, which should be fine. There is also 7.5 and 8.0mm, but I don't think they'd be required unless you've got a heavily tuned engine and/or hotter than normal engine bay. I'm not certain, but I think the only difference between the thickness is the insulation, and not the conductor.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

giulia_veloce

Hi Johnny C

Call the guys at Thundercords in Lidcombe -Sydney
They are the distributors of Magnecor leeds and can make and fit them while you wait,but call them first.

The 2 comments you got about the mechanic being responsible are a bit harsh.
Are the suspect leeds original ?good quality ?

I better not make any further comments about the replies you got.
It might turn ito a 1000 reply post in 2 days.
As for Shiny Car,,I have a suggestion for you.  Use Mr Sheen on your paintwork + glass.
And Choderboy,you better check that your rear main is not leaking.

Relax you 2
You both sound like real experts.

Robert

johnnyc

robert, thanks for the constructive input.

the leads were old, no doubt. i doubt the PO did much in the way of maintenance,given the amount of shit that was found in the sump after removal. oil changes and perhaps other regular maintenance did not appear to be at the top of his list.

cheers, jc

shiny_car

*sigh* I was only trying to help.  :-\

Obviously not my place. Sorry. All the best johnnyc.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Brad M

Quote from: giulia_veloce on March 17, 2011, 04:34:07 AM
The 2 comments you got about the mechanic being responsible are a bit harsh.
Are the suspect leeds original ?good quality ?

You should have stopped there.
Reason I say this is because you stated you were not going to make further comments, then continue to make inflammatory remarks.

Quote from: giulia_veloce on March 17, 2011, 04:34:07 AM
I better not make any further comments about the replies you got.
It might turn ito a 1000 reply post in 2 days.
As for Shiny Car,,I have a suggestion for you.  Use Mr Sheen on your paintwork + glass.
And Choderboy,you better check that your rear main is not leaking.

Relax you 2
You both sound like real experts.

This post is in a Technical area of the forum; everyone should be here to either learn or assist ... everyone should keep the witty banter out of here, especially if you don't actually know the other people.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

johnnyc

shiny, no offence taken. i have also heard the magnecorr ?? (spelling)  plugs are good; some places know how to charge for them as well. just trying to get an idea of what others use and how they find their leads perform and rate with other brands available on the market.

regards and thanks.

colcol

I can only talk about Suds and 33's, but years ago i had a misfire in my car and a mechanic told me to check the car at night, with the engine running with the bonnet up and you may see an occasional flash coming off a lead, yeah right!, so ok i tried it and i couldn't beleive what i saw, it was like the sky on new years night, there were sparks every where under the bonnet, even the plugs were even shorting out onto the radiator hose and running along the hose to the metal on the radiator, so i went to Repco and replaced the Alfa leads with Repco leads in those days available all seperately in different lengths, i was told Repco leads are no good, but they did not short out or have misfires, so to me they were ok, but the only problem i found was they are well insulated and so you cannot use an inductive pickup on your tuneup kit or timing light, so don't throwaway your old Alfa leads, keep them if you have to do a tune up one day, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

giulia_veloce

Well Brad M

As for technical,have you tried using Mr Sheen on your cars paintwork,glass + brightwork ?
Works great and is quick.

Shiny car n Choderboy = all cool guys.

Why do I use Magnecor leeds ?

Many years ago at V8s at Bathurst,many of the cars had electrical missfires n spikes etc from their on board computers.
The guys at Magnecor were consulted,and their leeds fitted to the race cars,and the problem was fixed.
Also at the time,Alfa 33s,75s,90s had computers and I stared using Magnecor leeds.
I must say,I have never had a problem with them.
The comment by cocal about dark night and starting the engine to see missfires,is used by many mechanics when a problem cant be sorted easily.
When you dont have a problem,dont create a new one.Magnecor leeds for me only.Fit and forget.
Time now to jump on a plane and get to Phillip Island to support the fellow Alfa racer guys.
I wont be racing this time,but will get 2 opportunities to feel the G-forces of the 767 taking off and landing.
Everyone has an opinion,so lets hear the good ones,and the bad ones and how to fix them so we can enjoy our cars.

Robert

Brad M

06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067