rear wheel position

Started by Fetta GTV, March 28, 2011, 10:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fetta GTV

Hi All

The rear wheels on my Sprint are not in the same position in the wheel arches
The right wheel is very close to the lip of the guard while the left wheel is in a bit
When you put weight on the rear of the car the right tyre almost hits the guard, you can get a finger in the gap easily on the left side
Everything looks OK underneath, nothing bent, it seems that the arm that runs from the body to the De Dion? is to long
everything seems tight but I will pull it out to see if the bushes have collapsed
Any advise greatly appreciated

Cheers
David
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Ray Pignataro

if the car has been lowered incorrectly the panhard rod will move the body to one side more then the other

Fetta GTV

Hi Ray

Car has not been lowered, standard springs and factory mag wheels
1979 Alfetta GTV

Ray Pignataro

can only be in the bushes of the upper and lower trailing arms the panhad rod or a bend in one of the arms, maybe a failing shocker or sagging spring

Fetta GTV

Thanks Ray

I'll pull the back end out and check all the bushings
want to give it all a really good clean up and check the shocks as well so whatever the problem is will show up when its all out

David
1979 Alfetta GTV

colcol

I had no idea that a Sprint had a De Dion!, but seriously after 20 years or so the springs will sag a bit which will cause the axle to go to one side more, try and find the specs for the ride height, it is sometimes measured from the bottom of the axle to the ground, and see if you have sagged springs, or it could have been driven in a sporting manner and clobered a kerb, and don't say none of us have never done it, after all Sprints are not Toyota Corollas, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Fetta GTV

Thanks Colin
I'll check out the ride height, I have the specs somewhere
yeah I new it wasnt a De Dion I just didnt know what to call it
This is my first boxer engined Alfa, my descriptions come from my alfetta. I had better learn to speak sud

Cheers David
1979 Alfetta GTV

colcol

We knew what you meant, the back axle on these does about 10 percent of the work, the front suspension is more important, thats why Rudolph Hruska put a boxer engine in to keep the centre of gravity low, long suspension arms to keep camber change to a minimum and negative camber to give outstanding handling, the back suspension stops the rear from dragging its bum on the ground, like a dog with worms, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

philpot

Err....are the guards/bodywork actually straight/even side to side? Cambers look even? The beam axles can get bent...Then the dog wont be able to walk in a straight line...worms or no!
1992 33 1.7 16v QV - white     1998 156 Twin Spark - white     1990 33 1.7 16v QV - silver     1985 33 1.5 QV - silver

Past:   '81 Alfasud ti      '76 Alfasud ti