Alloy wheel repair - gutter rash

Started by TFJ100, May 19, 2011, 12:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TFJ100

Hi all,

I have bought some alloy wheels which are perfect except for some pretty consistent scratches all around the rims, and on all 4 wheels.

I'm looking to find a repair shop who will restore them to new but without charging me a ridiculous price (I would like to pay $50 each, but definitely maximum of $100 each).

Failing being able to find a repairer at these prices, I might give it a go myself, courtesy of internet instructions. By the time I get to the 4th, I'm likely to be an expert!

Thanks
Torben
Now -
2018 Giulia QV, Vesuvio Grey

Then -
10 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - black
08 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - silver
10 159 1.7T 6 sp man - red
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

Duk

Perhaps post some photo's.

If the rim edge can be dressed up on a lathe, then it should be fairly straight forward Bare in mind that manufacturers aren't exactly going to put any excess material on a wheel, so just machining it probably won't be an option.
So that means welding and then machining. If that is the case, then you'd be doing very well do get it done for $100/wheel.

Datso

try "durafix" its an amazing product and repair is stronger than original alloy.
I have used this product in the past to repair a pair of rare 2 piece alloy wheels.
Cheaper than tig welding and less heat also. Ebay has a dude selling the stuff
cheaper if you ask for 2lb instead of 1lb from the states. Just make sure you
ask for shipping discount when before you purchase then he gives the discount
as I haggled him for it and sure hell do it again.

aggie57

Wheel Solutions in Richmond (9427-9265) quoted me $165/wheel finished, done in a day.  More than your budget but less hassle.  
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

John Hanslow

Also went to Wheel Solutions as heard good reports - dealers use them too.

Had a 17" alloy wheel welded as a temporary measure and they did a great job.  Will go back to have my wheels reconditioned soon.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

aggie57

Quote from: John Hanslow on May 19, 2011, 05:11:33 PM
Also went to Wheel Solutions as heard good reports - dealers use them too.

Had a 17" alloy wheel welded as a temporary measure and they did a great job.  Will go back to have my wheels reconditioned soon.

Cheers

Same here John. They're around the corner from our office. There's often high end cars in their driveway. Last week a white Gallardo......very nice!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM

TFJ100

Here are the photos.

When I look closely, I can see that I might be able to get away with a light machining, followed by repainting. The edge might not end up as "proud" as it was before, but unless you are an expert, it may not be obvious.

I'll take it to Wheel Solutions and see what they think.

Torben
Now -

Then -
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

colcol

You could try my "backyarders' way, if your wheels are not too bad, go to a auto paint place and get some paint mixed up to suit the colour of your rim, don't use acrylic like i did as the brake dust stains it, use something like enamel, that is air drying and not set off with heat, like a two pack, put the paint into one of those 'touch up' bottles, remove rim from car and clean it, then use a small ball peen hammer to 'flatten' down all the high spots and smooth it down as good as you can, then use some wet and dry abrasive paper to smoothen it down a bit more, don't use anything finer than 300 as the paint needs 'teeth' to cling to, then paint some aluminium undercoat on it, i cannot remember the correct name for it, but its green, then within 10 minutes of it drying, [no longer as it absorbs moisture], paint the repaired section of the rim with undercoat, then when it drys smoothen it up with some 400 wet and dry, then when its nice and smooth paint i with top coat, ie silver and when it drys give it a cut and polish with some cutting paste, then if it comes up satisfactory, finish it off with some burnishing creme or swirl scratch removing polish, in fact do the whole rim while you have it there, and you will be surprised at how well the rim looks, note as previously mentioned this is a backyarders way of fixing gutter rash rims, but it improves the wheel a great deal, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

There is a company in Heidleburg called Neway, and they restore wheels and straighten them as well they have straightened a few of my 33 speedline telephone dial wheels and have done a good job, a few of my H.S.V. and  F.P.V. 'mates' have had their wheels done there and they said they did a great job, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Brad M

Quote from: colcol on May 22, 2011, 08:27:52 PM
There is a company in Heidleburg called Neway, and they restore wheels and straighten them as well they have straightened a few of my 33 speedline telephone dial wheels and have done a good job, a few of my H.S.V. and  F.P.V. 'mates' have had their wheels done there and they said they did a great job, Colin.

Got the same recommendation, from a reputable chap ... http://www.newaywheelrepairs.com.au/
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Paul Gulliver

Neway has been around for a long time. 20+ years ago my wife  used to have a Fiat Regata Station wagon. The steel in the wheels was very soft and reasonably low profile tyres, this combined with my wife's fetish how mounting guttering made us regular customers of Neways. The cars wheels had to go out there regularly to be "rolled" and made "round" again.

I later gave up on this and brought her a Subaru 4X4.

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

TFJ100

Thanks for the further advice - I wish my post asking about which tyres I should choose was as popular!

I took the wheels to Wheel Solutions (close to my work) and got the standard $165 per wheel quote for a refurb. We then discussed a few other options. I left one wheel there for it to have the edge machined - $25. What this did was to flatten out the edge and gives it a smooth finish instead of having it all scuffed up. It is about a 5mm-wide strip.

I went back earlier today and checked it out - I think it looks fine. I thought it might show a really obvious difference in finish between the rest of the wheel and the machined strip, but it is not really noticeable - it looks like it could have been produced like that originally. It is also a slightly rounded machining rather than completely flat and squared off, which blends in better.

So I have dropped the other 3 off and will pick up later today. I may be speaking too early, but problem solved, low cost. I'll post some more photos when I can.

Thanks
Torben
Now -

Then -
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

aggie57

Thanks Torben - really appreciate the update.  Too often on these forums people ask for input or thoughts but we never hear how they went in the end.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 

Storm_X

My boss has sprayed 3 sets of rims for his mate and his own and all he did was car bog the scratches and repaint them in metallic silver, you cant even notice at all.

Also a set of wheels i bought off this fourm were scratched to hell, and all i did was strip the paint(gloss white) to bare metal car bog the scratches gave it a few coats of primer then a base coat of metallic black then top coated it with automotive clear with a matting agent (matt finish). I have only fixed two of the 17" wheels witch i did around a year ago now and they look better then brand new, you will also be surprised that none of the bog has sunk back or even fallen out at all.

I can post up pictures also if your interested.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Storm_X

you can also give the machined areas a quick touch up with some paint to blend it in.

If you where in Adelaide i could have gave all 4 rims a full refurb in Automotive paint for chaper then $100 each wheel, and they look like new.

Below is a picture off my Simmon b 45s I Painted around September/October 2010.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"