Coffee and Alfas

Started by bonkfrog, September 02, 2010, 11:22:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

monoman

Quote from: pep105 on September 02, 2010, 09:21:14 PM
Yeah Im a Coffee Pervert amongst pervin at other things ;) so also have a Rancilio 'Signora' Silvia with the Rocky grinder, its a great combo and I love it. Basically a scaled down industrial coffee machine so the internals are rock solid, with features like a brass boiler and copper fittings that opens up a can of whooparse on the old Saeco Magic Comfort it replaced.

I've had my Silvia now for 5 or so years during which she has pumped out some spectacular coffees.  She's been back for repairs a few times and she's now on her second replacement boiler.  Seems that I just can't leave it switched on all the time and expect the boilers not to burn out.  Unlike bigger commercial machines, Silvia doesn't have a pump to automatically keep the boiler filled. 

I've since connected Silva to a timer so she can be warmed up an ready when I wake up. 

If I was to replace her, I'd look for a double boiler unit with a pump.

Darryl

Quote from: bonkfrog on February 18, 2011, 12:24:22 PM
BTW I often get (expensive) beans from coffeeco.com.au, but make do with beans from the Moreland Road home of Genovese. Good crema, pleasant cafe latte to wake me in the mornings.

Can't go too far wrong with Coffeeco - Alan seems to be a real "coffee geek" - read his machine reviews.

I'm partial to a black coffee with some length to it - a bit of acidity in there helps too, definitely not interested in an over roasted bitter thing. Freshness matters more than anything as far as I can tell (no expert) - every now and again my "make do" choices from the supermarket turn out ok - very little to do with brand and everything to do with how far away from the ridiculous use by date afaiks. If anyone has a recommendation for something locally obtainable in Brisbane that is consistent quality and fresh I'm all ears - so far I haven't seen anything that is cheaper than buying from Coffeeco that fits that bill.

Oh - I have and am very happy with a Lelit Combi.

dehne

well i just brought a new delonghi machine, and its awesome, saves me lots of $$$ and is quick and easy love it. its the nespresso one it takes small pods and makes for easy cleaning, but what i want to know is, is there a shop where i can buy them rather than order online
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Simon Bidese

dehne also just acquired a nespresso.

Where abouts do you live in vic?

dehne

im in bendigo but i frequent melb a bit just annoyed that i have to wait 3 to 4 days for a delivery and its worse cause ive ran out
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Simon Bidese

The best i can do is point you to ->
http://www.nespresso.com/#/au/en/store_locator
I assumed u have already looked here.

I was gonna say if ur city bound, there is a store in Collins Street.
And if out south/east there is one at Knox City

Its looks like most Nespresso outlets are moving out of Myer stores into their own shop fronts.

They keep fresh for a long time so keep ur stocks up.
I now drink more as they are so easy to make :)

Bear157

Another coffee 'snob' here.

As the only coffee lover in my house, I have a small espresso machine, but it is a Gaggia. I also have a good quality burr grinder. I buy my beans from the Coffee Works in Mareeba, Nth Queensland.

For work, I grind my coffee every morning and take it to school (teacher) where I have an Aero Press (like a plunger, but uses air to press the water through the coffee via an individual filter paper). Whilst not as good as a quality espresso machine, it is a very good alternative when speed and space are a premium.

Cheers

Rob