Strange clutch noise

Started by GTVeloce, May 30, 2011, 04:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Hi all

I have a strange noise coming from the transaxle. It only appears when i'm idling with my foot off the clutch and it's not always regular. As soon as I engage the clutch it goes away. I am intending to change the clutch thrust bearing soon (there is also a squeak when pressing and releasing the clutch pedal) and am wondering whther there is something else gone wrong that I can rectify at the same time? I should note the clutch works ok although selcting 1st gear at standstill sometimes can be difficult.

Thanks
Julian

Sheldon McIntosh

MD

To make a diagnosis on such scant info is very hard.

(Sorry for contradicting you Sheldon.)

A noisey thrust bearing usually shows up when you disengage the clutch and hold the pedal down. Usually because the lubricant inside the bearings has long gone and they simply are failing. This will be more like a grinding noise.

The noise could be a loose yoke on the input shaft spline. Very common. This noise is minimised when holding the clutch pedal down. This noise is more of a rattle than a grind.

Other noises at the rear can be broken transaxle front mounts, rear mount and very worn locating bearing in the rear rubber coupling.

The squeak could be a lack lubrication of the clevice pin in the clutch pedal. No lubrication of the pushrod in the slave cylinder. The clutch pressure springs themselves..you name it.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

ARQ164 Shane

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on May 30, 2011, 05:06:35 PM
Thrust bearing. 

sound like some one put a cat in the tranaxle.
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

aggie57

aaahhhhh - so what does the strange noise sound like?? Sorry, kind of useful info. and not trying to be a smart a.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

GTVeloce

Thanks for your help guys. I would rather spend my spare time on the GTV rebuild but I have to keep the 'mule' (daily driver) going well.

Storm_X

does anyone know where i can buy a complete clutch bearing kit.
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"