Alfa 75 Door sensors?

Started by bteoh, July 02, 2011, 01:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

Does anyone know where the door sensors are located on the alfa 75? It has a faulty indicator on the alfa control panel saying the left front door is ajar when it is not. I did a search and someone mentioned it may be in the door lock mechanism but I could not see any wires or switches going into the door lock mechanism in the door itself. Normal doors have a switch on the door frame but there isn't any on the 75's
Would appreciate if anyone knows where it is.....

Cheers
Brian

shiny_car

Built into the door lock mechanisms AFAIK. I don't know if they are readily servicable, but your fault could range anywhere from the lock mech, to the wiring in the door, wiring in the rubber boot in the door jam, inside the car...

Good luck. But you could certainly start by removing the door trim to access the wiring and mechanism. Perhaps try the other door too, for reference. But shorting out the appropriate two wires will probably simulate a shut-door, and maybe start with that at the door lock end of the wiring.

I'd be referring to the workshop manual for Group 55 Doors and Group 40 Electrical.
http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

bteoh

Thanks shiny car,
Could not locate any switches after pulling all the trim etc off,  so still unaware how the system works. Nothing I could see in any of Craig's manuals either. Just sprayed some WD40 and lithium grease on the catches and will hope for the best.
Cheers

shiny_car

Did it work?

Tonight, I'm browsing the wiring diagrams for the 75 (partly for my own sake as I begin my resto). Referring to the Group 40 Electrical System | Door Lock Device wiring diagram:

H5 : left front door open indicator switch
2 wires: AG (light blue/yellow) + ground (black)

The AG wire comes directly from the door multipin plug (position 5), which goes directly to the ARControl.

Not much could go wrong with it. It's basically a switch, a ground, and a single wire via the door plug to the ARC. As to what the switch physically looks like, I've not checked. However, if you can find the ligh blue/yellow wire, that will be a start.

bteoh

Hey shinycar,

Thanks for the info. I am only aware of the wires going to the central locking solenoid and not to any switch that I can see. But I can't see how the central locking solenoid can monitor the door ajar position? I wonder if the switch is located in the door frame or somewhere else?
BTW, did you find the rubber connector boots for your car? Here's a link but the company is located in the US
http://www.eagleday.com/ampconnectors.html

Cheers,
Brian

shiny_car

Thanks for the link :) .  The guys at Jay Dees Auto Cables, Bayswater, is ordering them in for me, from the supplier in QLD. So they should be in stock soon. But I had to order a minimum qty of 10 pieces; no big deal, I'll have some spares, or on-sell them. JD's will probably keep a few for themselves to have in stock, so if I have 6, that's fine (only 2 required for the engine bay). They have the 2-pin boots too, so I'll grab those to replace the fuel injector boots and 2 around the thermostat housing.

The door-ajar and interior light share the same wiring from each door. That is, 2 wires to/from the switch, one being a groundwire. The other wire goes directly to the ARControl, which presumably detects an ajar door, then activates the warning light as well as turn on the interior/cabin light.

Have you noticed if the interior light is always 'on'? Or whether the door makes the light go on/off as it should?

bteoh

Hi

Craig has kindly sent me a photo of the door sensor switch that is located in the door lock mechanism. I guess it's hard to see in the car unless the lock mechanism is removed. Craig has said it has two black wires going to a red connector. So this will solve the mystery regarding this issue in case anyone comes across this problem.

Hope this helps

Brian