Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

pete barr

That's what happens with over drive. Talking not about the gear ratio, but the brain ratio

ALFAAA

Its good to see that the old V6 keeps up with the New V6. :)
Current :2004 916 V6 3.2 Spider (baby)
             :Alfetta GTV6 1984 3.2 24v
             :2024 Tonale Veloce SUV

Past       :Alfetta GTV  1977
             :147 Selespeed 2002

MD

I suppose the point was trying to make is the broad torque available from the naturally aspirated 3.0 litre engine compared with peak power from the 3.2litre turbo not making much more torque despite the added 90bhp. All this on a flat quite fast track.
The difference may even be more evident in favour of the naturally aspirated engine in a tight twisty circuit with some changes in elevation thrown in for good measure where torque is paramount over horsepower.

This assuming that both drivers and car set ups are a good match which did not appear to be the case here.

I would have liked to see a comparison of the same scenario with the GTV6 using a supercharger even if it ultimately made the same bhp.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Darryl

Lets try a few back of the envelopes here:

Increase 3.0 to 3.2 -> 240 -> 256 hp (all else being equal)

330/256 = 1.29 ie not much boost, but the 24 valve probably was good for some extra go too - so really - very very little boost....

Overall, I'd say this would feel like a particularly strong N/A motor.... I'd bet on the turbo having *lots* of torque, and it being very driveable.

This is very different to a massive turbo on a small capacity motor / a pissing contest peak dyno hp turbo...

Duk

Quote from: MD on July 09, 2011, 08:58:14 AM
I suppose the point was trying to make is the broad torque available from the naturally aspirated 3.0 litre engine compared with peak power from the 3.2litre turbo not making much more torque despite the added 90bhp. All this on a flat quite fast track.
The difference may even be more evident in favour of the naturally aspirated engine in a tight twisty circuit with some changes in elevation thrown in for good measure where torque is paramount over horsepower.

This assuming that both drivers and car set ups are a good match which did not appear to be the case here.

I would have liked to see a comparison of the same scenario with the GTV6 using a supercharger even if it ultimately made the same bhp.

Is there any confirmation that the 75 is turbo'd? To me it doesn't hold an awful lot of water that a 3.2 litre 24 valve engine would 'only' have another 90 hp over a NA 12 valve. If it is in fact turbo'd, then it should have absolutely stonking midrange torque. A well specified turbo engine should have a hugely broad torque curve compared to a NA engine, especially a 3.2 litre that's only just beating 100 hp/ltr, that should pull like a train from about 1500-1900rpm (ie, small turbo for the engines capacity should start providing boost at a very low engine speed).