Is Evan going for a world record with "Our very own barn find" ???

Started by Mark Baigent, August 09, 2011, 06:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Baigent

OK - the question has to be asked - has Evan's thread perhaps become the most popular ever on the Forum ?
18 pages - 22,000 views and still going strong ! I'm thinking he's going to stretch out every electrical connection and interior screw insertion by listing them one at a time to ensure he retains the record forever ! Well done Evan - just goes to show how popular a 105 restoration can be !!

Evan Bottcher

Ahem.

Well the thread has only JUST surpassed Greg Wyatt's "3L GTV PRC Project" thread in terms of views, and it's been going since 2006.  See the attached stats, or you can see all the stats here: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?action=stats

You'll also notice that Mr Choi spends the most time on here by a long shot - 34d 8h 2m!  Also, considering Paul Edwards only joined last March, he's well up the table of most amount of time spent on the forum.

Sad to see some legendary threads - like "105 for next years targa" being left behind.

Thanks Mark - yep I'm definitely going to stretch this restoration out for a few more years, way too much fun and not enough time in my weeks to get much done when it's up to me.  But I'll be sure to keep you up to date...

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Davidm1600

aghem, now the difference I suspect could be discussed between the longest thread, albeit that from my perspective Evan's restoration of his GTV has been relatively rapid, and that of the longest time taken to complete a restoration project, irrespective of the model.

In my case (sadly to say due to the triple whammy of not sufficient $$ to go into working on just one project, a lack of time for same said reasons, and a lack of a decent workshop, aka shed) has conspired to ensure my Giulia Super's restoration might just be one such candidate, though I do know of another (belonging to a guy who posts under the name of PSK on the BB) who has taken even longer than I, and like me he also still has a long way to go to complete his '69 GTV.

My project started back in 2002 (9 years ago) when I acquired an extremely rusty but complete and relatively straight Super, albeit a '69 when what I really wanted was a '66-67 model. 

I know my Super will be finished one day and it will look like the model I wanted (as I have virtually all the parts to achieve this) but when exactly I can't even remotely say, as two historic house restoration projects and 3 classic cars (said Super, '69 1750 GTV and even my '69 Fiat AC 124 sport) all require varying levels of significant expenditure and time.  In between all of that I somehow also need to live, work and play.

So perhaps it might be interesting to learn of others long term projects and how they managed to complete them.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

scuzzyGTV

QuoteYou'll also notice that Mr Choi spends the most time on here by a long shot - 34d 8h 2m!  Also, considering Paul Edwards only joined last March, he's well up the table of most amount of time spent on the forum.

I really ought to stop leaving it open while I'm at work, it must make the wife think I'm sad or something...
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

Evan Bottcher

Out of interest, the forum software has to make an approximation of time spent online.  Because of the way the web works, the server doesn't know that you still have a page open in your browser if you don't click on anything.  So if you visit the forum and then go away immediately, it will still record some kind of default timeout period in the database.  The people who are highest ranked are probably the people who visit most often, even if just for a quick check many times a day.

Okay that wasn't that interesting...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

Wow, I feature quite heavily, I really should get a hobby....oh wait.  ;D

I didnt know my ol' Project S thread was that popular either.

Back to the Census form  ::)
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

1750GTV

It is very interesting, but it's also like reading one of those Phantom strips in the paper, two panels at a time each day ....

And he's moved on to the alfabb as well ;)

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Simon Bidese

Evan from a techo to techo slow down, I can't keep up with the speed ur propella is going :)

David Mills

Quote from: Davidm1750 on August 09, 2011, 08:26:19 PM

So perhaps it might be interesting to learn of others long term projects and how they managed to complete them.

Dave, I think we might need a new thread for this.  I'll  put in my bid.  My 1900 project has been going for 39 years so far.  Wouldn,t it be fun if we had had the BB way back then?

Davidm1600

ahhhh no way David, 39 years !! I give up already.  You win !!!   ;D  We should compare notes one day.  Glad to see you are optimistic of finishing just like I am as well.  You have to live in hope !!

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina