Monster Tacho, Alfa Style

Started by Colin Byrne, July 11, 2011, 10:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Byrne

My standard mechanical tacho has always been very inaccurate and with the new engine on its way I thought it was time to sort it out, also liked the idea of getting a shift light.  Had a look around and to get anything that looked decent was going to cost over $200 and then you could add another $100 for a shift light.  A quick search on eBay located  a 5" "Monster" tacho with integrated shift light for $45.  After a few modifications I managed to squeeze the internals of the new tacho into the original alfa case and then finished it off with a sticker from the alfaclub shop.   I've bench tested it using a signal generator and all works well and is very accurate, just need to get some nice LED lights to make a neat shift light
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Ray Pignataro

Colin get a high intensity led and mount it in a plastic shoo roo with super glue and black silastic

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Davidm1600

I am going to sound really ignorant here, so please excuse me ;D, but why do you really need a shift LED light to tell you when to change gears, can't you tell by feel and engine noise when it is required to change gears ?  I don't rely on the Tach to tell me. Told you it was a silly question.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

AikenDrum105

Doesn't valve bounce count as haptic feedback ?      Seriously - looks awesome !! 
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Davidm1750 on July 12, 2011, 03:42:07 PM
I am going to sound really ignorant here, so please excuse me ;D, but why do you really need a shift LED light to tell you when to change gears, can't you tell by feel and engine noise when it is required to change gears ?  I don't rely on the Tach to tell me. Told you it was a silly question.

I might also sound a bit ignorant here, and that's because I am.  IMO a shift light on a road car is a ridiculous w***.  On the racetrack (which is where Colin's car is driven when it's not on Targa) a shift light is very useful.  The light gives you a precise indication of a specific revs, and allows you to change at a consistent point.  On the track personally it gives me a great indication of when I've improved a corner exit, as I can observe that the shift light will come on at least a couple of inches earlier after the corner exit, maybe even half a metre.

Okay several metres.

Okay many metres.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Davidm1600

Cheers Even I had that was the answer to both points.  Absolutely have to agree for road cars such a thing is for tools driving ricers with gauges growing up the RHS front piller or out of the bonnet.

It was in a way a Rhetorical question for I suspected I knew the answer re for race purposes, albeit, from my extremely limited experience I would tend to have thought one would be spending more time watching the track and other competitors around you than watching the clock, but perhaps I am wrong  ??? 

Anyway it is certainly one impressive Tach.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Brad M

Quote from: Davidm1750 on July 13, 2011, 01:23:28 PM
It was in a way a Rhetorical question for I suspected I knew the answer re for race purposes, albeit, from my extremely limited experience I would tend to have thought one would be spending more time watching the track and other competitors around you than watching the clock, but perhaps I am wrong  ??? 

David, that's the point the light goes off in your peripheral vision and you know you're at that poiint in the rev range. Means you aren't distracted from what's happing on the road around you.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

1750GTV

What does the Speedo look like ?

Chris
1957 Giulietta Spider (750D)
1968 Fiat 500F
1970 1750GTV

Colin Byrne

installed

Speedo is going to be removed and replaced with my data logging screen (phone) and a small push bike speedo.

jimnielsen

Nice work Colin, I see that the speedo goes up to 140 MPH (that should almost be enough)  - and that the car is already doing about 10 mph in the shed!! Good work on the suspension points, looking forwards to seeing the finished results!

jim ~
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

ACP

Quote from: Colin Byrne on July 17, 2011, 06:41:08 PM
installed

Speedo is going to be removed and replaced with my data logging screen (phone) and a small push bike speedo.

Just Got to source a bike speedo that can go fast enough... The old man mounted the sensor on the prop shaft, and a small section of tube behind the ash tray, to which the computer is mounted.  Works pretty well, the only big problem is you can't see it at night as it isn't back lit...

I have thought of mounting a Garmin Edge HRM inside as an alternative, does speed, cadence(rpm?) heart rate, has data logging, but that would be frowned upon for events where GPS is not permitted.

Cheers,
AP
Alfa 1967 Gulia GT Veloce 1600

Colin Byrne

QuoteJust Got to source a bike speedo that can go fast enough..

I've been using the "sigma" brand that Anaconda sells.  Max speed is 200km/hr and i think they start at around $30.  I've got 2 in the rally car, one for me and one for the nav. in case we have a failure with the primary rally .  I've also got one in the 105 road car.  because they are designed for slower speeds the calibration resolution is incredibly accurate.  As far as back lighting goes, the rally car is very rarely driven at night but  a couple more LEDs should do the trick

I'm on the lookout for an old Speedo as all i really need is the backing tin and the silver ring and it would be a bit of a shame to destroy this one for just that.

alfagtv58

The VDO range of bike speedo's can also go up to higher speeds.  Not backlight though.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Sam

Hi evewryone,
I noticed Colin used a Signal Generator to test / calibrate his tacho.

Does anyone know where I can get one and how much they cost?

I've cchanged the tacho's 'guts' but left the same face plate.
The tacho I'm using has a trim pot to calibrate it, but I'm not sure how to do it without a signal generator.

The other way could be to drive at 100K and adjust the tacho to read about 3000 but it wont be very accurate

Thanks in advance
Sam