Importing From UK

Started by Lamarama, August 05, 2011, 05:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamarama

Has anyone imported a late model car from England before? with the strong Aussie dollar there is some really good buys over there at the moment. I really want to get a Brera but dont want to pay 50K for one when you can get really good ones over there for much much less. Looking into the shipping costs it seems 3 thousand will get one over here but you have to have owned it for 12 months and I am not sure how much customs and Import taxes are.
If any one has done it before could you please tell me how it went.
Also could you buy one and put it in storage over there for 12 months to get around the ownership time rule or do you have to be able to prove you were actually living in the UK for the 12 months required ?

Any input would be appreciated

Steve S

Yes you need to prove you lived there and used the car. It's pretty much impossible to fake it as they ask for your passport and you need to provide a travel summary for any time spent outside the country within the 12 months.

$3000 may get it here but there will be a list as long as your arm for other charges to get it off the Docks. You also need to pay duty and GST. Then you need to get the car up to ADR's and registered etc.

Chances are it will not be possible for you.

MD

Importing from Europe or UK is something I would never recommend. Not because of financial reasons but because your investment will corrode faster than an old baked beans tin on St Kilda beach.

I once bought an 18months old Fiat Commercial van from the UK. Within 3 months all the bogged up sill sections were flapping in the breeze like a loose sail.

Ask me how pissed off I was..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

wankski

that is so true.... even newer alfas like 156s suffer rust problem that they just don't over here...

and its not just the body that suffers, exhaust system = toast, suspension bolts which u will need to access to replace parts are all frozen in place.... total ball-ache...

we all know UK pricing.... mate... let it go!   ;)

alfagtv58

1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

Well it's like this.
If I was about to get the electric chair but they said to me you got two choices to redeem yourself.

1 Buy a used Alfa from the UK or,
2 Your middle stump gets cut off.

..er as much as I love pocket billiards, I 'd take the chance. ;D ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Craig_m67

I own a UK '03 156 JTD SW which we imported ourselves into Aust. on our return home... It's a dream, as i've always maintained it and know what been done, needs doing next, and most likely to fail (suspension bushes)

It has no rust, or salt corrosion from the roads over there..

Newish Alfas (and other brands) were all pretty much fine on inspection.  Whilst older cars do rust faster in the UK/EU than here it's just rubbish that the newer ones do.  That said, any car that isn't cared for and has done a gazzilon miles/Ks will have issues though.

The 12 month owned AND operated burden off proof is tested.
It was £1250./ shipping door to door excl. customs, duty, taxes, ADR etc.

That said, the rest was a doodle and I'd encourage anybody who can, to go for it. Wish I'd had the presence of mind to have something amazing on the books when we came back, but it was sudden and unavoidable.

Thinking of selling soon if anybody is interested in a JTD sportwagon.. We no longer need it.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

wankski

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 06, 2011, 08:54:53 PM
Newish Alfas (and other brands) were all pretty much fine on inspection.  Whilst older cars do rust faster in the UK/EU than here it's just rubbish that the newer ones do.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/241433-rusty-156-underside.html

RobT

How about dismantling, chuck it all in a container and bring it in as "parts"?  would that be possible?

Craig_m67

I believe i said

Quote from: Craig_m67 on August 06, 2011, 08:54:53 PM
Newish Alfas (and other brands) were all pretty much fine on inspection.  Whilst older cars do rust faster in the UK/EU than here it's just rubbish that the newer ones do.  That said, any car that isn't cared for and has done a gazzilon miles/Ks will have issues though.

Which is i believe the consensus of the thread you posted, some are perfect, some are rusty
My car has zero rust, excluding the already expected surface rust on the unpainted bumper bar legs. 
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)