Flywheel bolt specifications

Started by Tony Raditsis, August 15, 2011, 09:51:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Raditsis

Hi,

I'm in the process of fitting a new flywheel to a twin spark engine for my guilia super.  Does anyone know the bolts specifications?

Tont R.

MD

I use 12.9 grade socket head bolts for this purpose. Be sure to match the existing bolt length so that the new bolts do not "bottom out" in the crankshaft- particularly if you have had the flywheel lightened including the mounting area.(which should not be done to any serious extent for safety BTW)

Torque down settings are on page 01-75 of the workshop manual available here:
http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Tony Raditsis

Just wanted to confirm bolt specifications - width, thread pitch and length.

MD

Sorry Tony I do not have any on hand to measure up for you and I don't trust my memory to advise about such a critical component.

If this is about fitting a flywheel, why not simply go original parts from an Alfa spare parts outlet and be done with it?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

colcol

Don't use standard bolts or grade 8 or whatever, just use the standard Alfa Romeo flywheel bolts that are up to the task, and use lock plates if possible and or loctite on the threads, and do them up progressively with an accurate torque wrench, use NEW bolts as used ones will stretch, and if you seriously BUZZ [overrev] the motor the bolts may loosen off, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]