Alfetta Cam Cover

Started by Sam, August 15, 2011, 10:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Anyone got a spare cam cover they dont want ?

My one has developed a crack near the 2nd right hand bolt and it's just peeing Oil all over the exhaust manifold  :'(  

Sam

Storm_X

ive had two covers crack in the same spot
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Sam

There's a bit of a story behind this one though ...

I bought a new gasket a few months ago, fitted it and all was ok.
A week ago I noticed that it started leaking. I tightened the bolts but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I asked the person I bought it from and he said to tighten it more !

After tightening it to the point where It just didn't seem right, and it still leaked I decided to take the cover off.

I found the gasket had delaminated and the bottom half of the delaminated peice had shrunk,.

I was fairly pissed given the relative newness of the gasket.

I bought another gasket and while the cover was off, I decided to do wrinkle finish on it.

Spent the best part of last weekend cleaning, painting, drying etc. it looked really good.

Even though I made sure I didn't do the cover up to tight I heard a faint cracking noise on that particular bolt, but didn't think anything of it.
In hindsight, I think the cover was weakened from all the over tightening, when I put it back on , it just needed a slight bit of pressure and it cracked.

This has cost me a week-end plus $100.00 for the 2 gaskets, paint etc. ...

It's not the end yet. I still need to find a cam cover and a new gasket.

Sam

prova

Hi Sam you can buy my whole Alfetta GTV 2lt engine for $100 including the cam cover!!!! Down near Geelong though.

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=6687.0

Ren