Wanted: a few small engine parts for 2.0 Nord

Started by OzMidnight, August 15, 2011, 09:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OzMidnight

Hi everyone!

Needing a full set of exhaust manifold studs (ok, so I bagged mine up when I pulled the cylinder head off and can't find the bag), plus the little slider for the chains tensioner (yes, it was in the same bag!!).

Thanks in advance,
Lee.

ANG156

I have the slider for the chains and the exhaust manifold studs but i am worried that they will strip when i go to take them out. You should be able to buy new ones from a nut and bolt shop.

OzMidnight

Thanks Ang - you are right of course, about the studs.  Trouble is, I need one so that I can get matching ones!  I tell you, when I find that little ziplock-bag stealing gremlin...

aggie57

Don't the studs have different threads on either end?  Can you get those at a common bolt shop?  I've always thought that would be something they wouldn't typically carry.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

OzMidnight

After a year of sitting...I'm finally trying to get the banana car back on a track...and this happens.  Typical motivation killer!

Duk

Manifold studs should be 8mm, either a fine or normal/coarse thread (I can't remember). Grab an 8mm coarse thread bolt bolt and try and screw it into 1 of the bolt holes by hand. If it doesn't go, try an 8mm bolt with a fine thread. Add some light lubricant to make it easier. When you've determined what thread pitch it is, go to your friendly exhaust shop and buy 8 studs from them. Try and get some anti vibration nuts too (not nylock nuts).

hammer

Hey Lee,

Call Julian Lord, he'll have everything you need. Plenty of old Nords at his place.

Can't wait to see you back out on the track.

Cheers,

Brent

LaStregaNera

Quote from: Duk on August 18, 2011, 03:09:33 PM
Manifold studs should be 8mm, either a fine or normal/coarse thread (I can't remember). Grab an 8mm coarse thread bolt bolt and try and screw it into 1 of the bolt holes by hand. If it doesn't go, try an 8mm bolt with a fine thread. Add some light lubricant to make it easier. When you've determined what thread pitch it is, go to your friendly exhaust shop and buy 8 studs from them. Try and get some anti vibration nuts too (not nylock nuts).

From memory they're coarse at one end, fine at the other - I raided my collection of parts heads to collect enough studs for putting extractors on my 164, otherwise I'd beable to offer a set.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

Martyn

They are 8mm studs. Coarse thread into head and fine thread where brass nuts fit on. Your exhaust shop is very unlikely to have these. Go to your friendly Alfa wrecker.
Remember all strippers like studs!
Regards
Martyn Piercey
105 GTV (building for Nc)
Alfetta GT
76 Spider(in bits)
GTV 2000
1300 GT Junior
147 Selespeed(sold)
Sc Alfetta GTV (sold)

Duk

Just use coarse thread studs and use coarse thread, anti vibration nuts rather that piss fart around with what Alfa used originally. I've only ever seen brass nuts on Italian cars. Cadmium plated (I'm guessing it's cadmium plating. The nuts have always undone when needed) studs and anti vibration nuts on my Japanese cars.

OzMidnight

Thank you everyone, for your replies.  Sorry for my slow response - I've been on one of those rare holiday things with the family!!!!

Brent, would you be able to pm me a contact for Julian Lord?  Thanks in advance...I've heard a bit about him from Mike but his didn't cross my mind as I've never known where he was!

Failing that, I'll try the other options.  Thank you all again.

Mike

I bought threaded rod with the same thread as the thread in the head (I'll have to check the name on the rod in the shed if interested).  I have not used it as I've not had the need.  I have enough length to make a couple of sets up.  The only thing is the thread would be the same in the head and out, unless you weld on course thread M8 lengths.  many ways to skin cat, spare studs if you can get them would be the easiest.  Shame you are in qlnd, I have a spare stuffedd head that you are welcome to extract the studs from if you know someone in Tas who can come and sort it for you, I just don't have the spare time right now (do doubt a job for oxy).

Cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

OzMidnight

Well, I've been given a few avenues to try...I'll post again if I hit a dead-end!  Thank you all again.