Shitbox Rally 2012 - Mario II

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, August 26, 2011, 12:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: AlfaACT on September 02, 2011, 12:17:14 AM
On the other hand, it's a very sedaentary looking spider!

I'm surprised he was still hanging on in there by this stage, he/she was a gutsy little bugger.  See how the dash is all shiny?  That's not Armorall....

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: AlfaACT on September 02, 2011, 12:17:14 AM
It'll be the only Alfetta Spider ever driven from Melbourne to Cairns ... or anywhere for that matter!  ;D

Boom boom.  The only way to redeem a corny joke like that is a healthy donation to a worthy charity.  8)

(Which can be done at http://www.everydayhero.com.au/scuderia_shitbox_2012)
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

MD

Little miss Muffet,
Sat on the front seat, eating her curds and whey.
Along came an Alfa spider and sat down beside her but she said" I don't give a rat's arse which one of your legs is broken but if you crap on this dashboard you won't have a good one left". ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Davidm1600

Very Funny MD.  Glad I had just finished my breakie or I might have choked on it  ;D  but definitely not curds and whey !!
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Evan Bottcher

I think the fumes will have cleared in the car from all the arachnicide we sprayed, might be safe to take for a spin.

The left taillight backing board is rusted badly.  Does anyone have a spare?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

ARQ164 Shane

Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Evan Bottcher

A bit of progress on der box von scheiße.  Milano spares gave us a generous price on some electric window regulators and a door handle, very grateful thanks Mark.  The front is all good, just need to put the rear regulators in and she'll be great.  Managed to get a look at the car on the hoist and the usual mix of things - one rear caliper seized and leaking, rear donut, leaking exhaust, and the front castor rod bushes are stuffed.  One castor rod front bush was so worn it would move an inch and a half by hand.  Oh so that's what was making that clanking sound.

Otherwise good compression all round and runs great with a new set of plugs.  Needs a good Italian tune up.  And some rust cut out.

Sheldon on the other hand, decided he didn't want to do any work on the car so sprained his ankle.  Nice example of a kankle.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Got some tail light backings courtesy of Mr Francis.  All for a good cause, thanks Mat.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Mario II went on display today at Spettacolo.  Unfortunately he didn't win the concourse, nor the concorso, nor the concours.

Mario has some new castor arm bushes, taillights, window winders, and some lovely new bodywork and paint.  Best I don't post any detail photos of the bodywork  :-X

We're doing okay in terms of fundraising, special thanks to forum members Pancho, Krishnan, and MD for generous contributions.  We've even had a donation from a member of the AlfaBB from Florida!  Remember the donations can be made directly to the cancer council here: http://www.everydayhero.com.au/scuderia_shitbox_2012
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

MD

Even though you didn't win, congrats for making a HUGE splash we could feel in Queensland !! ;D

On a side note, I get a bit squeamish when I read that a brilliant transaxle like an Alfetta is referred to as a "shitbox" but then I realise you chose it for its rugged beauty, fabulous handling, mucho good looks and balls bigger than gorilla nuts to get a tough job done and so I have quietly become reconciled with the term.  :)

BTW Please don't paint the bonnet. It gives it that "lived in" look that says have some respect. I've been to hell and back.  ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Craig_m67

I want to know more about the flower power 90 at the top right... Does it still have it's attaché case? :)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Craig_m67 on October 31, 2011, 11:14:54 PM
I want to know more about the flower power 90 at the top right... Does it still have it's attaché case? :)

Can't comment on the attaché case, but I can say that it's a rare find in Australia - a four cylinder Alfa 90...
You can see their thread here: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=7610.0
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

The rally route has been announced...

OMFG - Melbourne – Wentworth – Tibooburra – Innamincka – Windorah – Winton – Undara – Cairns.

http://www.shitboxrally.com.au/route-2012/
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Sheldon McIntosh

Mario II is nearly ready for battle.......

Stuart Thomson

Sensational, I love it guys.

Added one thing to pack for SBR 2012, Chalk, large quantities, fluorescent colours, for the drawing of obscene pictures on Mario II.

After all we wouldn't like him to feel left out!

Cheers
Stuart

P.S. the 90 is being masked up for cosmetic surgery as we speak, well, actually not 'cos I'm typing this, just needed a break.  Will post pictures soon.  The 50% off 3M paint at Supercheap was hard to resist.