WTB - Roll cage for 1976 Alfetta GT coupe

Started by michaeljc, September 05, 2011, 02:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaeljc

Maybe someone out there has a cage I could buy. Prefer a bolt in unit for club sprints only.... nothing serious. Full cage is definitely preferred with intrusion bars an added bonus .... but am interested in whatever may be available. Hence alloy or steel is OK. Something is always better than nothing ... and a little extra structural support for the 35 year old slightly less than perfect shell would not hurt either.

ALSO .... Does anyone know anything useful (good or bad) about OMP rollcages from England?

Please PM me or pop it on this thread if you have something or info. that may suit me.
2001 Subaru WRX
1999 Subaru WRX STI
1984 Alfetta GTV

SimonR

I believe the OMP and Sparco cages are both very good and installers over here also fit them, however you need to be pretty darn good at welding to do this though. They are not a straight bolt-in fitment and need to either be fully welded-in or have "feet" welded to the car to bolt onto. You can contact Demo Tweeks customer service dept for further info on this as they sell both brands and are pretty cheap at the moment with the good current exchange rate.

1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White

Jekyll and Hyde

Another option would be to speak to Hugh at Monza Motors, he can arrange a rollcage to be built to whatever specification you desire.

My thoughts on your desires, for what they are or aren't worth: Alluminium rollcages are not CAMS approved, unless the car has been logbooked with the ally cage since before the rule change (many years ago now), and even if you fit a secondhand cage it counts as a new installation - ergo not CAMS legal.

Given that your car is eligible for group S, I feel it would be worth buying/building a cage that can be CAMS approved for that category, as it adds a selling point should you ever wish to sell the car, not to mention if you decide you'd like to get out there and have a go at an open race meeting one day.

On building rather than buying - if you are rather tall for example, you may find the main hoop is in the wrong spot on an 'off the shelf' cage, not allowing you to have the seat where you'd like.  A custom built cage will be 'fitted' to suit you and your driving position.

dehne

hi there
i know a guy that has 2 cages for gtv's and they are just sitting in his shed, ill see if he wants to sell one and get some pics
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

michaeljc

Thanks to all so far for that. I am keen to check out the cages out of the shed thanks Dehne. I don't think the shell is really good enough for Group S. It is very solid but the outer skin at the bottom of the sills looks to have a bit of bog in them. The paint is good so I have not explored too deeply yet. So for a really decent Group S race car I would prefer to start with a better shell rather than sink $2000 - $3000 of cage into this one .... Hence a cheap'n'cheerful cage just for club stuff is better value for money ... just at the moment anyway. It's been 20 years since I was rallying & sprinting with an alloy cage. I would expect an alloy cage would pass scrutineering for club stuff .... Am I correct?   .... What about the 6-hour at Winton - does it need to be CAMS approved to compete there?
2001 Subaru WRX
1999 Subaru WRX STI
1984 Alfetta GTV

aggie57

WRT the 6 hr, roll over protection is not required:

"Roll over protection bars are not compulsory but are encouraged and recommended for open top cars.  When fitted, roll bars must be of a design and construction that in the opinion of the scrutineer will protect the occupant in the event of vehicle rollover."

WRT to CAMS, the regulations (http://www.camsmanual.com.au/10_gen_req.asp) state that:

"In cases where the type and/or status of the event does not require an automobile to be fitted with any form of safety cage, the use of structures which do not comply with these regulations is permitted unless the Chief Scrutineer believes the structure to be of unsafe construction."

However bottom line is that as soon as you fit a safety cage (current FIA lingo for a roll cage  :-\) you are best to comply with the current CAMS regs.  Scrutineers at all levels will be much more comfortable about it's integrity if it does, particularly if the car has obvious structural issues in other areas........
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list