Alfa 90 Fuel Tank Capacity Gone Missing

Started by dfrye, July 21, 2011, 03:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfrye

So the 90 has a 49L tank plus reserve or 8 or so. Mine shows the reserve light on after about 30-35L. I figured it just wrong and ran it today until it literally ran out of fuel. When I say it ran out, it would stutter and stall going downhill or on the flat but thankfully was OK going uphill which was helpful given where I was in relation to the petrol station.

It took just over 42L to completely fill. I thought maybe the one way vent was blocked and just creating a vacuum in the tank preventing the pump working but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Does anyone know how the fuel pickup in the tank in the 90 works or have any other ideas as to where my other 15 odd litres have gone?

cheers,

//dean

dfrye

Chaps, I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this from someone who has pulled a tank from a 90. Sure I can go pull the tank out but it looks like I'll be breaking seals and then staring at a pile of parts all weekend wishing I'd left it alone, and if its an issue with the pickup in the tank, I am not sure removing it would help. Has anyone pulled a 90 tank apart or might know how the fuel pickup works?

cheers,

dean

Sheldon McIntosh

I think 49L is the total, including the reserve, which would sound about right if your light is coming on after 30-35, and you can only get 42L in.  But I've been wrong before.  Maybe you've got 7L of crud in the bottom of your tank?

Diagram of the system attached, I hope.

aggie57

Does the 90 have the same tank as Alfetta sedans? If so bank on 42-44 litres being the practical limit.   Many of us who owned them when new have tales of running out unexpectedly or at stupidly short range.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list