Speeding fine..

Started by Ash Gordon, September 05, 2011, 09:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

On the way down to folks house for fathers day we passed two cops one on the way down and another set up on the other side on the way home. Both parked up in the middle of roadworks on the Mornington fwy up behind Mt Martha.

Anyhow both were sitting in the car with radar gun out the window, do they have to pull you over and issue a ticket ? or can I expect a surprise in the mail ?  >:(

seriously barely over the 70km limit - just wondering..

'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

colcol

What a stupid question!, why would they pull you over when you were 2 kph over the limit, and give you a warning on poor driving?, the various goverments are not interested in road safety, they just want your money, but i can understand how you feel, i have run a few amber lights to avoid a 4wd up my clacker and spent a few sleepless nights worrying, let us know how you get on, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

dehne

with the radar gun they have to pull you over, if you got a fine in the mail for speeding i would ask for the photo as there is a very good chance they dont have one and therefor cannot prove anything.
also i hope you were not driving an alfa as you were well under the recomended speed limit that all alfa drivers are required to do  ;)
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Cool Jesus

Police radar requires the vehicle to be stopped and the driver spoken to regarding the breach. Although radar equipement is a scientific instrument there is a small margin of error due to enviromental variables. This is a small percentage and as such there is an enforcement policy with all radar (hand held, stationery camera) of prosecutions for breaches over the posted speed + 10%, hence 70kph equates to 'safe zone' of 77kph before you cop a pill. This 10% represents a figure well above the margin of error. The reasoning is ultimately, that it removes any reasonable doubt that the radar reading for which prosecution is commenced is in no doubt at the very least above 70kph (per example, the posted speed limit).

So as the guys above have mentioned, you haven't been caught. Infact you are better off with the guys on radar as they are more interested in serious speedsters and if you're good with the gab you may even talk your way out of it. Those fcukin*^&*%$% cameras aren't as forgiving... 20+ years with a clean slate and then 2 pills with my 159, both off cameras, both just over that 10% margin of error. Man, by the time I hit third gear i'm up in the 80's and 90's, I'm seriously gonna lose my licence with her... :-[
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Brad M

I saw that Qld and WA are now trialling some new radar guns which are more accurate (I think the said 2%) and also video the culprit.

So down the line you may well be getting the fine in the mail, but this time I think you'll be OK.

Agree with you Col, the Government is only after the $$$, speed camera's are stupid in that realising you have offended is delayed for processing.

Where is the reinforcement of safer driving habits when the following happens?
Drive up to Winton, using the Ring Road and get a camera fine.
Participate in the 6Hour
Drive back again using the Ring Road and get another camera fine.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Ash Gordon

Thanks guys - TBH not idea how much over I was - probably only 5-10 as a coasted down to 70kmh.

clearly where they were set up after the $ / guys who dont slow down from 100kmh into the 70kmh zone..

Did not think they could issue an infringement unless it was a camera which it was clearly not.
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Cool Jesus on September 05, 2011, 11:25:11 PM
So as the guys above have mentioned, you haven't been caught. Infact you are better off with the guys on radar as they are more interested in serious speedsters and if you're good with the gab you may even talk your way out of it. Those fcukin*^&*%$% cameras aren't as forgiving... 20+ years with a clean slate and then 2 pills with my 159, both off cameras, both just over that 10% margin of error. Man, by the time I hit third gear i'm up in the 80's and 90's, I'm seriously gonna lose my licence with her... :-[

We don't get 10% on cameras in this state... it's 3km/h, or 3% if over 100km/h IIRC.  Not sure about radar.  Enjoy your leniency while it lasts.....  At last you pay for it with having annual roadworthys, although I'm sure they will make it here soon....

Cool Jesus

Quote from: Jekyll and Hyde on September 06, 2011, 07:03:05 PM
We don't get 10% on cameras in this state... it's 3km/h, or 3% if over 100km/h IIRC. 

That bites the big one, for sure I'd have lost my licence by now :o
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS