Cooked Disk Rotor

Started by jimnielsen, September 24, 2011, 10:38:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimnielsen

Finally had a chance to remove the disks from the front of my car after Sandown last weekend. Looks like its been to a BBQ! The other side is cracked too - although not as badly as this one. The pads are Ferrodo DS2500's but I've clearly had them out of their heat range...

~ jim
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4
'90 Alfa Romeo 33 1.7 IE - my god! I can compete in Trofeo class!! -

Neil Choi

Hey Jim

If you got your disc and pads that hot, what fluid were you using, did it boil?

Neil

MD

How does that song go?

..I can feel some ducting coming on... ;D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Steve S

Jesus! That's pretty bad   :o

Are you running 4x100 pcd?

jimnielsen

Neil - I am race type brake fluid with a boiling point of 600....

MD - yes as much as I hate the prospect, ducting will be needed. I have been avoiding it as the front drive shafts and the ABS hub sensors take up a lot of the space where it would normally be easy to rig something up. But, clearly something will have to be done. I was also getting massive fade into turn one at Sandown - now that really gets your full attention  :)

Steve S - yep its 4x98 pcd..

'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

MD

Jim,

Just thinking this through. I don't think it's pad issue as there certainly is plenty of heat generated by the friction as we can all see!

Clearly the rotors cannot dissipate the heat quick enough and so they need some help. I have seen plenty of warped transaxle rear solid rotors from that problem.

I also think there may be some gain in moving up to the DS3000 pads. The rally guys use them for good reason. You might care to research that.

Cheers, MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

jimnielsen

- Yes, I am getting some brake ducting sorted. The car stops pretty well as it is - but at Sandown I was braking from 220 kph 20 times in one session - really way over what the braking setup I have can reasonably expected to do. If I can get the cooling setup correctly I think it will make a big difference..Will try DS3000 pads next time instead as you have suggested MD..

Already got the new rotors - less than seven days from order till delivery from the UK.
'95 Alfa Romeo 155 Q4

Evan Bottcher

Hey Jim,  what did the brakes feel like at the end of the day?  Obviously in trouble?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal