Berlina carpets

Started by mickl, September 14, 2011, 10:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mickl

I have turned the shed upside down looking for the box in which i put the carpets a couple of years ago, but it eludes me. I can`t imagine that I chucked them out but it would appear so.
So now I have to get some new ones or better still, make some myself from scratch. I really need a pattern or maybe a set of old worn out carpets to use as a template. Anyone able to help?
Thanks in advance
Mickl

mickl

Well, no old carpets or patterns out there so i bought some cheap thin carpet from the carpet shop (only $28/m and 4 m wide!! so much cheaper than the underlay from auto shop at $70 each side) and have started installing it. I picked the thinnest carpet available as it seems easier to shape in the corners and also based on cost as I figured i might stuff up...but so far so good. I made some templates from cardboard and started with strips about 1.6m x .18m which go along the sills under the stainless scuff panels.
Next came the piece over the tunnel...........I made it up as one piece from front to back but the opening for the handbrake doesn`t look the best.........Can anyone explain how a real one looks or maybe post me a picture please??
I will next make up a small piece to glue to the step/vert panel under the back seat then I will have to make up the pieces for the floor each side. Again, I may try to make each in a single run but would it be easier in two pieces with a lap under the seats?? Can anyone suggest which and what the original is?
Whilst the carpet is heat welded at the back and will not run at the edges, it may be best to get the edges stitched over or a thin vinyl edge sewn in....any suggestions?
My next problem will be to get some sort of studs/clips to secure the floor carpet to the tunnel and the length under the scuff plates. I tried repco and rare spares but neither had anything to offer. I remember the old carpet was secured to the floor with a number of screws with cup washers but i don`t like that way.
Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions on furter progress.
Mickl

adrenalinangel

Hi you can get replacement carpets from us for big$$$ unfortunately my berlina is an auto so different carpet set up
but the original comes in sections not one large piece. thinking of doing something simular to yourself so would love to see photos
05 156ti
00 gtv
74 berlina 2000a
08 147

mickl

Thanks for this post adrenalinangel, mine too is a 2 litre berlina auto. How many pieces is the tunnel carpet cut into and where are the overlaps?? Same for the pieces along the floor...where is the overlap?
I will put off the carpet cutting and concentrate on some work under the car today in anticipation. I will post some pix in a day or two.
regards
Mickl

mickl

Finished off the carpets and went with a number of screws in the floor and firewall etc like original. I decided to cut the floor carpet into three pieces each side for simplicity. One piece for the firewall and two along the floor with the lap under the seat. I found some press studs in UK so they will fix the floor carpet to the sill pieces and the tunnel piece when they arrive. Close now to finishing.
Mickl

adrenalinangel

Sorry mate have been away so unable to reply to post. The centre piece around gearbox is one piece of carpet
love to see your pics hope you can start driving soon. great to hear that another auto is staying on the road
Nothing is better than shooting off at the lights leaving modern cars in your wake. The 3 speed is brilliant and very underated
makes driving a pleasure in traffic and still holds its own on the track. Hope you get the same pleasure from your berlina
as I have from mine.
05 156ti
00 gtv
74 berlina 2000a
08 147