V-8 Car of the Future

Started by colcol, October 03, 2011, 09:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Our Premier race series the V-8 Supercars, Car of the Future was being tested today at Eastern Creek, the C.O.T.F., is designed to be built cheaper and easier to repair after a bingle, the Holden vs Ford duopoly is in no danger as no other manufacturer is interested, the only difference between red and blue will be the body's as everything else will be the same, and instead of having an engine for each manufacturer worth about $120,000, they will use 'crate' motors for about $17,000, bought in from the USA on crates, they will have the same chassis with the outer panels being able to be removed for change to another car maker, it will also have a transaxle just like Alfa Romeo's had 40 years ago in the Alfetta, apparantly the test was halted when the transaxle blew up, maybe they should have got Alfa Romeo to build them one, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

They were planning to run some demo laps at the Supercheap 1,000 this weekend at Mt. Panorama, but apparantly due to issues with the driveline they have decided that the Car of the Future will be driven some time 'in the future', maybe they could get a lend of a good Alfa Romeo GTV-6 transaxle that wouldn't lunch itself after a couple of laps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

How long will a GTV6 transaxle survive delivering 600+hp?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

alfagtv58

My transaxle lunched itself at Bathurst.  And I didnt have 600HP.  Now that I think about it, I didnt have much talent either.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

QuoteHow long will a GTV6 transaxle survive delivering 600+hp?

It wouldn't need 600 hp to stay on the pace.  ;D

What it could do with is a torque tube like it always should have had if it wasn't for the bean counters.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Gary Pearce

The info I gleaned from a recent visit to the HRT workshop, was that the 'V8 Supercar car of the future' will run exactly the same driveline as is in place now. Cost savings will be in the form of even more control on engine development . Watch for more info on Sunday.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

hammer

Have seen the COTF @ Qld Raceway. It's done plenty of laps around QR already, sorting out early bugs. These V8SC cars really should be classified as sports sedans and the Australian Touring Car title should be handed back to CAMS to be once again run on a national basis for touring cars. V8SC has its place in Australian motor sport but it is evolving into something very different to when it started 15 years ago. It's just such a shame that the once coveted ATTC has been buried in all the hype of V8SC.

MD

Hammer. The only addition your post needs is a pneumatic drill to ram it home..

To me it's just a traveling circus. The quasi competition is certainly wasted on me. The only Yank thing missing is the big oval circuit and the constant left turn. Like everything else, it's probably coming..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

colcol

And we are still waiting and waiting for the other manufacturers to join the circus, Nissan and BMW would have rocks in their heads to get involved this time after the terrible way they were treated in the group A days, can't you just imagine all the prestige Marques getting involved so they could get beaten by Commodores and Falcans, Colin.

Paul Newby

Quote from: Gary Pearce on October 06, 2011, 11:26:19 AM
The info I gleaned from a recent visit to the HRT workshop, was that the 'V8 Supercar car of the future' will run exactly the same driveline as is in place now. Cost savings will be in the form of even more control on engine development . Watch for more info on Sunday.

That is incorrect. The Hollinger sequential gearbox is to be replaced by an Albins six speed sequential transaxle.

It's a done deal. Read about it here: http://www.albinsgear.com.au/news.php?headerbar=1

Maybe they can do a sequential box for our Alfetta race cars...  :)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

colcol

So which gearbox lunched itself at Eastern creek earlier in the week?, Colin.

Gary Pearce

That's an old release. 'That is incorrect. The Hollinger sequential gearbox is to be replaced by an Albins six speed sequential transaxle'.[/s]
According to sources the Albins has been set aside in preference to Hollinger. For the release anyway. The HRT seemed upbeat about the idea and I for one are staying positive that inclusion of the  'other car companies' you mention may make it a bit more interesting. There is no question we won't be going back to the hero years of Touring Car Racing in Australia like we had in the 60's, 70's and 80's so we should be happy that there is at least some development to keep us watching. Like AFL NRL Formula 1 etc etc we are in a changing world driven mainly by the dollar generated by TV advertising.
If you hanker for the good old days, come along to Historic Racing, where you can relive some of the excitement of times gone by.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

Datso

Car of the future would be a Nissan GTR transaxle capable of over 1000hp
with compact light alloy v8 using Dodge Viper variable valve CamInCam tech
from the Viper V10 and only styled by Alfa Romeo  ;D

colcol

Yes, but as we seen in the 80's and 90's if it isn't a local car winning, then all the knuckle draggers will get upset that their favourites didn't win and they would want the rules changed, and it would happen if any other manufacturer was stupid enough to get involved with the [NASCAR] Car of the Future, Colin.

colcol

Did anyone see if the 'Car of the Future' drove around Mt. Panorama on Sunday for any parade laps, i only watched it from 10am until 6pm, and missed the 7am to 10am morning shift, Colin.